NeXT Computers

NeXT Computer, Inc. => NEXTSTEP / OPENSTEP Software => Topic started by: NeXTsociety on May 13, 2010, 01:09:05 am

Title: eBay via OmniWeb 3.1 on OPENSTEP ??
Post by: NeXTsociety on May 13, 2010, 01:09:05 am
I am still on NeXTSTEP 3.3 running OmniWeb 2.5 but curious, can OmniWeb 3.1 on OPENSTEP handle getting on and using eBay?

What added benefits does OmniWeb 3.1 give us over NeXTSTEP and older 2.5 version?

In the same interest, how about doing mail via Yahoo?  Can OmniWeb handle working on Yahoo webmail?

tj
Title: Re: eBay via OmniWeb 3.1 on OPENSTEP ??
Post by: cubist on May 13, 2010, 04:13:14 am
Quote from: "NeXTsociety"can OmniWeb 3.1 on OPENSTEP handle getting on and using eBay?


Probably not for the simple reason that by the time it's rendered the page, the auction will likely have closed.
Title: eBay via OmniWeb 3.1 on OPENSTEP ??
Post by: bkmoore on May 13, 2010, 07:27:56 am
I can't understand why, other than winning clever hacker points, would anyone want to use NeXT for eBay or other modern interactive web sites.  I would think > 99% of NeXT users have a more modern setup for these things.
Title: eBay via OmniWeb 3.1 on OPENSTEP ??
Post by: NeXTsociety on May 13, 2010, 07:37:38 pm
Quote from: "bkmoore"I can't understand why, other than winning clever hacker points, would anyone want to use NeXT for eBay or other modern interactive web sites.  I would think > 99% of NeXT users have a more modern setup for these things.


I am looking at it from a perspective that the NeXT is the only computer available to use.

Was just curious what the browser can and can't handle and did not know if technology used to display eBay services is something the browser can handle or not.

After all, maybe an Amishman with only a NeXT in the barn needs to buy a new carriage part and wants to get on eBay.   :lol:

tj
Title: eBay via OmniWeb 3.1 on OPENSTEP ??
Post by: bkmoore on May 14, 2010, 03:57:37 pm
OK,

In all seriousness, you could probably get eBay to work with the https plugin for OmniWeb 3.0rc1 on OpenSTEP. There are instructions here: http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/archive/omniweb-l/1999/004577.html. I gave tried to install this plugin a while ago, but it just caused my OmniWeb to keep crashing. So I gave up on it, since I have a modern setup and don't really need the functionality. Maybe someone more savvy than I could get it to work.

I loaded eBay into OmniWeb, it rendered poorly, but it could still be useable.

I hope this helps.

Brian Moore
Title: eBay via OmniWeb 3.1 on OPENSTEP ??
Post by: NeXTsociety on May 14, 2010, 04:45:30 pm
Quote from: "bkmoore"OK,

In all seriousness, you could probably get eBay to work with the https plugin for OmniWeb 3.0rc1 on OpenSTEP. There are instructions here: http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/archive/omniweb-l/1999/004577.html. I gave tried to install this plugin a while ago, but it just caused my OmniWeb to keep crashing. So I gave up on it, since I have a modern setup and don't really need the functionality. Maybe someone more savvy than I could get it to work.

I loaded eBay into OmniWeb, it rendered poorly, but it could still be useable.

I hope this helps.

Brian Moore


Sweet, thanks for letting me know.

The Amishman
Title: eBay via OmniWeb 3.1 on OPENSTEP ??
Post by: bkmoore on May 15, 2010, 04:01:43 am
There seems to be a more recent version of the plugin on SourceForge:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/omniwebhttps/files/.  I haven't given it a try yet, but it was last updated in 2001.
Title: eBay via OmniWeb 3.1 on OPENSTEP ??
Post by: bkmoore on May 15, 2010, 09:55:56 pm
Society,

I downloaded the latest plugin and got it to build and run in OmniWeb.  I was able to login to eBay, so yes it is possible, but it's not pretty. I posted a couple of screenshots below.

To build the plugin, you need the latest Omni Frameworks. Unfortunately, the pre-compiled 1998G Framework is not current. You can get the latest OpenStep frameworks from Omni's ftp site at:  http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/software/Archive/Source/OpenStep/

To get the frameworks to build, you need to install the script omnimake somewhere in your path.

Then you need to download and install the open-ssl frameworks.

Once all this is done, you should be able to build the https plugin.  To save you some time, I put a tri-fat copy of the plugin in my public folder here:  http://public.me.com/bkmoore/de/.

Here's my screenshots:
(http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1402/4609447245_255411e64d_m.jpg)

and here's ebay:

(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3395/4609447607_a12e1c6d02_m.jpg)

I hope this helps.  I'm through hacking for tonight and am going to drink a nice cold beer.

Take Care,

Brian Moore
Title: eBay via OmniWeb 3.1 on OPENSTEP ??
Post by: NeXTsociety on June 29, 2010, 05:58:36 am
OK, updated from NS3.3 to OP4.2.  Downloaded and installed Omniweb 3.0.  Will download the OpenSSL frameworks and install that also.

Now, as for you plugin.  I downloaded it.  Am I correct since you made this, I don't have to do all this makefile stuff you did and just need to grab just the HTTPS.plugin and somehow get it to be seen by Omniweb 3.1?

tj

Quote from: "bkmoore"Society,

I downloaded the latest plugin and got it to build and run in OmniWeb.  I was able to login to eBay, so yes it is possible, but it's not pretty. I posted a couple of screenshots below.

To build the plugin, you need the latest Omni Frameworks. Unfortunately, the pre-compiled 1998G Framework is not current. You can get the latest OpenStep frameworks from Omni's ftp site at:  http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/software/Archive/Source/OpenStep/

To get the frameworks to build, you need to modify the Makefile in each one and specify the path to your project builder makefiles. Check the makefile from one of the example code apps for the correct path. The order you build the frameworks does matter, they have dependencies. I built the base, foundation, appkit, http, owf in that order and installed them.

Then you need to download and install the open-ssl frameworks.

Once all this is done, you should be able to build the https plugin.  To save you some time, I put a tri-fat copy of the plugin in my public folder here:  http://public.me.com/bkmoore/de/.

Here's my screenshots:
(http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1402/4609447245_255411e64d_m.jpg)

and here's ebay:

(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3395/4609447607_a12e1c6d02_m.jpg)

I hope this helps.  I'm through hacking for tonight and am going to drink a nice cold beer.

Take Care,

Brian Moore
Title: eBay via OmniWeb 3.1 on OPENSTEP ??
Post by: bkmoore on June 29, 2010, 03:38:15 pm
TJ,

Just drop the file HTTPS.plugin in the /LocalLibrary/PlugIns Folder. You can also download some other plugins from omni such as:  JavaScript.plugin and QuickTime.plugin here:

http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/software/Archive/OPENSTEP/

I hope this helps.

Brian
Title: eBay via OmniWeb 3.1 on OPENSTEP ??
Post by: NeXTsociety on June 29, 2010, 07:31:06 pm
Quote from: "bkmoore"TJ,

Just drop the file HTTPS.plugin in the /LocalLibrary/PlugIns Folder. You can also download some other plugins from omni such as:  JavaScript.plugin and QuickTime.plugin here:

http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/software/Archive/OPENSTEP/

I hope this helps.

Brian


It is weird... your plugin does not allow my Omniweb to launch.  It goes through the motions and never launces though.  Putting back the https.plugin that was already in my local plugin folder and now she launches again.

So, something about that plugin my system does not like.

Or maybe the OpenSSL.0.9.5a.m.NIS.b.tar.gz     that I installed is not the correct SSL file?

tj
Title: eBay via OmniWeb 3.1 on OPENSTEP ??
Post by: NeXTsociety on June 29, 2010, 07:54:19 pm
So, to recap what I did so far.

Installed and updated to Openstep 4.2.

Downloaded BKMoore's https.plugin and placed in my LocalLibrary/PlugIns folder

Downloaded and installed OpenSSL.0.9.5a.m.NIS.b.tar.gz that I downloaded from this NeXT forums file archives.

Upon launch of OmniWeb 3.1rc1, it now no longer launches.  Acts like it does and then my Omniweb icon in the dock goes back to normal unlaunched view.

Now, I had earlier installed the HTTPS.1.04 I downloaded from this same site but I guess that is why I had a HTTPS.plugin in my LocalLibrary folder already that I threw out and replaced with BKMoore's.

Not sure if that is the reason for my launch issue.  It boots with the 1.04 but I can't see it in my Omniweb at all.  And since the BKmoore plugin does not let me launch OmniWeb, not sure if it would see it or not to adjust settings in the admin prefs in Omniweb.

tj
Title: eBay via OmniWeb 3.1 on OPENSTEP ??
Post by: bkmoore on June 30, 2010, 06:50:03 am
TJ,

You can open the console while OmniWeb is launching to see why it is hanging. I suspect the reason it is not launching is I had to use a later version of the Omni Frameworks to get the plugin to compile properly. It would not compile with the 1998 Frameworks package. I guess it won't run with the 1998 frameworks either.

From my last post:
QuoteTo build the plugin, you need the latest Omni Frameworks. Unfortunately, the pre-compiled 1998G Framework is not current. You can get the latest OpenStep frameworks from Omni's ftp site at: http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/software/Archive/Source/OpenStep/


One thing I forgot to mention in my post is you need the script omnimake in your /usr/local/bin directory to compile the frameworks.  I had to slightly modify the one from Omni's ftp site to include a path to the makefiles. Here's my modified version:



#!/usr/bin/zsh

export OMNI_BUILDOUTPUT=$NEXT_ROOT/Local/Public/$USER/BuildOutput
export OMNI_INSTALLROOT=$NEXT_ROOT/Local/Public/$USER/InstallRoot
export OMNI_BUNDLES=$OMNI_INSTALLROOT/Library/PlugIns
export OMNI_FRAMEWORKS=$OMNI_INSTALLROOT/Library/Frameworks
export MAKEFILEPATH=$NEXT_ROOT/NextDeveloper/Makefiles

OMNI_DEFINES="-DOMNI_ASSERTIONS_ON"

echo gnumake $* OTHER_CFLAGS="$OMNI_DEFINES"
echo
time gnumake $* OTHER_CFLAGS="$OMNI_DEFINES"


Once you have that script, chmod it to make it executable. Then the frameworks should compile in project builder. The frameworks have dependencies, so you have to build them in order, for example Foundation, then AppKit, etc. I couldn't get all the frameworks to compile, but the important ones seemed to build ok.

When I get some time, I'll post compiled versions of the frameworks I used in my public folder. I hope this helps.

Brian
Title: eBay via OmniWeb 3.1 on OPENSTEP ??
Post by: NeXTsociety on June 30, 2010, 03:44:19 pm
Thanks for the notes.  Kind of over my head though <grin> as I have never compiled anything before.  In fact I asked that same question in these forums on how to compile for a newbie basically but did not get any response.

So, I will have to explore some when I have a chance as some of what you note below makes sense but not all so a bit lost on the whole compile thing.  hehehe  

tj

Quote from: bkmooreTJ,

You can open the console while OmniWeb is launching to see why it is hanging. I suspect the reason it is not launching is I had to use a later version of the Omni Frameworks to get the plugin to compile properly. It would not compile with the 1998 Frameworks package. I guess it won't run with the 1998 frameworks either.

From my last post:
QuoteTo build the plugin, you need the latest Omni Frameworks. Unfortunately, the pre-compiled 1998G Framework is not current. You can get the latest OpenStep frameworks from Omni's ftp site at: http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/software/Archive/Source/OpenStep/


One thing I forgot to mention in my post is you need the script omnimake in your /usr/local/bin directory to compile the frameworks.  I had to slightly modify the one from Omni's ftp site to include a path to the makefiles. Here's my modified version:



#!/usr/bin/zsh

export OMNI_BUILDOUTPUT=$NEXT_ROOT/Local/Public/$USER/BuildOutput
export OMNI_INSTALLROOT=$NEXT_ROOT/Local/Public/$USER/InstallRoot
export OMNI_BUNDLES=$OMNI_INSTALLROOT/Library/PlugIns
export OMNI_FRAMEWORKS=$OMNI_INSTALLROOT/Library/Frameworks
export MAKEFILEPATH=$NEXT_ROOT/NextDeveloper/Makefiles

OMNI_DEFINES="-DOMNI_ASSERTIONS_ON"

echo gnumake $* OTHER_CFLAGS="$OMNI_DEFINES"
echo
time gnumake $* OTHER_CFLAGS="$OMNI_DEFINES"


Once you have that script, chmod it to make it executable. Then the frameworks should compile in project builder. The frameworks have dependencies, so you have to build them in order, for example Foundation, then AppKit, etc. I couldn't get all the frameworks to compile, but the important ones seemed to build ok.

When I get some time, I'll post compiled versions of the frameworks I used in my public folder. I hope this helps.

tj
Title: eBay via OmniWeb 3.1 on OPENSTEP ??
Post by: kb7sqi on July 02, 2010, 05:09:32 pm
TJ
 I just looked @ one of my systems & I remembered if you're using the newer openssl.framework that was compiled for OPENSTEP 4.2, you need to re-link the directory. Pretty sure the HTTPS plugin looked for OpenSSL as follows:

/LocalLibrary/Frameworks/OpenSSL.framework

and the newer version is installed in:

/LocalLibrary/Frameworks/openssl.framework

I simply created a symbolic link & it worked fine.

In /LocalLibrary/Frameworks & & root:

ln -s openssl.framework OpenSSL.framework

and the https plugin should work fine.  Take care.
Title: eBay via OmniWeb 3.1 on OPENSTEP ??
Post by: bergqvistjl on December 20, 2010, 06:50:04 pm
Did we get anywhere on this? I've been trying to compile the latest frameworks and i'm getting quite a few syntax errors in the source files, hence they won't compile. OWF and Foundation are the main ones so far with syntax errors (compiler thinks there are missing ';'s in the source files) that won't build. It would be cool if we could get pre-compiled versions of the .framework folders so we could just drop them into the Omniweb framework folder if it was possible.