New compiles/Away for quite sometime

Started by kb7sqi, September 24, 2007, 08:05:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kb7sqi

wu-ftpd-2.6.2+security patches is posted quad-fat/packaged now.  Hope it comes in handy for ya.  8)  Take care.

kb7sqi

In my continued quest to get an AIM client working on a NeXT system again, I have compiled quad-fat/packaged bsflite-0.82, a BS-Free Aim Client.  :lol:   It has been tested on x86/hppa.  It works, I chatted w/ helf & erikthehack tonight.  Make sure to take a look at the README in /usr/local/share/bsflite.  There's also a config-example file in that directory as well.  Just copy it to ~/.bsflite/config & edit it to your desires.  I'm working on a few other clients now that I figured out  the problem w/ bsflite.  So, stay tuned.  8)   Take care.

kb7sqi

ncftp-3.2.1 compiled/packaged quad-fat linked against ncurses is posted. :D It's a clean port w/ no -posix.  Took a little while. Take care.

kb7sqi

uudeview-0.5pl20, slang-1.4.9, & slrn-0.9.8.1pl1 all compiled/packaged quad-fat have been posted.  8)   Take care

ericj

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for all of the ports, since they make NS/OS even more usable for me and for others.

Keep up the good work,
Eric

kb7sqi

Thanks.   I hope people get good use out of them.   :D   I can remember when I first started using my first NeXT system.  I seemed lost when it came to compiling stuff. hehe.  Even the simplest things seemed to fail.  Alot has changed since then.   :wink:

BTW, rdesktop-1.4.1 is compiled/packaged quad-fat is posted as well.

Take care.

kb7sqi

Quote from: "kb7sqi"Thanks.   I hope people get good use out of them.   :D   I can remember when I first started using my first NeXT system.  I seemed lost when it came to compiling stuff. hehe.  Even the simplest things seemed to fail.  Alot has changed since then.   :wink:

BTW, rdesktop-1.4.1 is compiled/packaged quad-fat is posted as well.

Take care.

I should mention for rdesktop, which is a cli windows terminal services client, you do need Cub-X installed.  :D

mgtremaine

Any thoughts of trying to get a more modern browser working? I was looking at trying to get Dillo to compile but it seems to want pthreads and that is a not going to work. Maybe elinks or one of the text based browsers with graphics supports would possible,

As I was trying to get this stuff togther I was able to compile and install bash 2.05a, libjpeg-6b and libpng 1..2.23 no real problems with those expect the /bin/sh did not like one line of the configure file in libpng but it was easy to fix. I compiled and installed bash after I did that so had I do it first I'm sure it would have been easier to run configure through bash rather then sh. The one package I can not get but was very close was libtiff I can get it to configure and then I have to fake it out [ mv /bin/sh /bin/sh.safe; ln -s /usr/loca/bin/bash /bin/sh ] in order to get the libtool lines to work. But even with this hack I was getting stopped in the tools/ dir by a missing symbol from ld [_manmap in the file bmp2tiff.c ].  If libtiff can get compiled then that would be one step closer to something newer.

Anyway just some thoughts about possible new packages. bash, libpng and libjpeg are low hanging fruit if you want to compile them up.

-Mike

kb7sqi

Hi,
 I actually have libpng, jpeg, & libtiff compiled fine for openstep and if you look in my x86 archive, you'll see links is compiled.  It's compiled against all of those as well as x11.  I have a binary for hppa/sparc as well.  Those were actually on my todo list for quad packages for NEXTSTEP 3.3.  links works pretty well for a cli browser when using the -g for graphics.  I mean, it's not firefox, but it is suitable for quite a few sites.  It's compiled against openssl as well.  If my weekend stays as planned, I should have most of those packaged up quad fat as well.  I know I need bash-2.05b for m68k as my system is still running 2.05a.  I'll try to take a look at 3.0x also this weekend.  I hope everyone celebrating Thanksgiving had a wonderful/safe Turkey day.  :wink:  

Just FYI, almost everything I compile as you've noticed is straight C code.  I wish I knew Objective-C, because I for one would love a new modern browser/im client etc.  I've had good luck @ getting C stuff to compile & I always try to stay away from using the -posix flags because I hate the bugs that come along w/ it.  But if anyone is really good w/ Objective-C, I can assist in getting the lower level code to compile for a modern browser/im client.  I'm always open for suggestions when it comes to getting stuff to run on our older systems.  I'll look @ compiling a newer version of Amaya as well.  It's a html editor/web browser as well.  I know it compiles easily on NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP,  but it uses X11.  Take care.

kb7sqi

Also should mention I do have some stuff compiled for my personal use, that I've never made available like jpilot, etc. Simpily for the fact that it's stuff compiled for OPENSTEP & I know most everyone on the site prefers stuff compiled for NEXTSTEP 3.3.  The problem w/ that is, when trying to compile certain things, the 2.5.8 compiler can make it difficult.  That's the only version of gcc that's available for hppa.  On x86/m68k you can use egcs & 2.95.3/4. But even sparc is limited to 2.7.2.x  Whether its the OPENSTEP version or the NEXTSTEP version.  So, you have to decide somewhere what you want to see compiled for all versions of NS/OS or only focus on certain arch's like m68k/x86.  Each arch has their own pluses/minuses and bugs.  I've ran into the problem several times when trying to port different things.  Some stuff will compile fine on m68k. yet fail on all the other platforms.  A perfect example is when I got a clean port of gpg-1.2.6 compiled for m68k.  I 've never been able to take the same code & get it to work on x86, sparc, or hppa.  Another example would be screen-4.0.x  It'll compile fine on x86/m68k using egcs.  Take the same code & try it the stock cc or on NEXTSTEP.  It don't want to compile.   :roll:   That's just a few more observations about trying to get stuff to compile on our systems and I've never claimed to be an expert.  Take care. :lol:

mgtremaine

Well you are more of any expert then I that is for sure. [I'm just a perl hacker who has had to compile enough software to be dangerous ;P ]. It does seem that NeXTSTEP is the target of choice although Openstep is probably more useful. [I see that there is even a pthreads tarball for Openstep.]. Sticking to the base gcc [2.7.2] seems to be the best way to keep compatibility [I had no idea that HPPA was 2.5 based  :?:  ].

In any case keep of the good work!

-Mike

kb7sqi

Well, here's a start on some of those requests.  :wink:   jpeg-6b w/ libtiff patch for ojpeg support, jasper-1.900.1, jbigkit-1.6, libpng-1.2.23, tiff-3.8.2, and links-2.1pre19 all compiled quad-fat/packaged/posted.  8)   Now, just FYI, jasper/jbigkit are newer JPEG support libraries w/ some cli command tools.  tiff-3.8.2 had to be compiled one arch @ a time & lipo'ed together.  Which took alittle while, but that's ok.  And finally, links-2.1pre19 was compiled against jpeg, tiff, openssl, zlib, & X11, which means if you have CubX installed & you run it by kicking off links -g, it'll open up a nice big window w/ graphics/javascript/ssl support.  Remember, it's not Firefox, but it does work pretty good.  More to come over the weekend as time permits.  Enjoy the packages.  Take care.

Oh btw, next time you want to compile tiff, just remember that it flags mmap support incorrectly so you have to vi the libtiff/tif_config.h & comment out the line HAVE_MMAP 1.  Then it should compile clean.

mgtremaine

Quote from: "kb7sqi"
Oh btw, next time you want to compile tiff, just remember that it flags mmap support incorrectly so you have to vi the libtiff/tif_config.h & comment out the line HAVE_MMAP 1.  Then it should compile clean.

Very cool, I'm going give it a them a try later today! Thanks.

-Mike

kb7sqi

Two more for ya.  8)   gd-2.0.35 and rsync-2.5.7.  Both are compiled quad-fat/packaged. gd-2.0.35 is a another graphics library/command utils and rsync-2.5.7 is a backup util.  Note: rsync-2.6.9 is the latest available, but getting rsync to work properly on a NeXT system can be challenge.  I have 2.6.6 compiled, but it fails most of the  built in checks.  Here's the output of rsync-2.5.7:

POSIXLY_CORRECT=1 TOOLDIR=`pwd` rsync_bin=`pwd`/rsync srcdir="." ./runtests.sh
============================================================
./runtests.sh running in /Users/kb7sqi/temp/source/rsync-2.5.7
   rsync_bin=/Users/kb7sqi/temp/source/rsync-2.5.7/rsync
   srcdir=.
   testuser=root
   os=Mach kernel version:
        NeXT Mach 4.2: Tue Jan 26 11:21:50 PST 1999; root(rcbuilder):Objects/mk-183.34.4.obj~2/RELEASE_I386

Kernel configured for a single processor only.
1 processor is physically available.
Processor type: I386 (Intel 586)
Processor active: 0
Primary memory available: 256.00 megabytes.
Default processor set: 52 tasks, 95 threads, 1 processors
Load average: 0.33, Mach factor: 0.82
   preserve_scratch=no
   scratchbase=/Users/kb7sqi/temp/source/rsync-2.5.7/testtmp
PASS    00-hello
PASS    chgrp
PASS    chown
PASS    daemon-gzip-download
PASS    daemon-gzip-upload
PASS    daemon
PASS    devices
SKIP    duplicates (Known minor bug in this code)
PASS    hands
PASS    hardlinks
PASS    longdir
SKIP    ssh-basic (Skipping SSH tests because $rsync_enable_ssh_tests is not set)
PASS    symlink-ignore
PASS    trimslash
PASS    unsafe-byname
PASS    unsafe-links
------------------------------------------------------------
----- overall results:
     14 passed
     2 skipped
------------------------------------------------------------
overall result is 0
bash-2.05b#

kb7sqi