Setting up Mail.app

Started by dravier, February 27, 2006, 02:14:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dravier

Inspired by one of the other threads on the forum, I'm trying to get my station a little more active in my daily cumputing.  I have successfully setup PopOver to retreive mail from a POP3 account, but am unable to send any mail (regardless of style, NeXT, plain text or MIME).  I know with z80's board there was talk of a full 'HOW TO' concerning mail functions slated for the second eZine... but since that never happened, I was curious if anyone would like to share.  Thanks and I look forward to setting up a new mail account just for this machine.
dravier

Turbo Color slab NS 3.3

"a little rebellion now and then is a good thing"
- Thomas Jefferson

Andreas

Quote from: "dravier"Inspired by one of the other threads on the forum, I'm trying to get my station a little more active in my daily cumputing.  I have successfully setup PopOver to retreive mail from a POP3 account, but am unable to send any mail (regardless of style, NeXT, plain text or MIME).  I know with z80's board there was talk of a full 'HOW TO' concerning mail functions slated for the second eZine... but since that never happened, I was curious if anyone would like to share.  Thanks and I look forward to setting up a new mail account just for this machine.

I assume you are using NeXTstep, under Openstep you can use Popover 2.0 wich can also send emails. Under NeXtstep and Popover 1.6 it was little tricky but i have only a german articel about setting up something (not directly the complete email system). There are a few limitations AFAIK, the first one was, that your login-name in NeXtstep hast to be the name part in your email adress.
F.e., im logging in as next42, so i have catched up an adress next42@gmx.net.
The domain "gmx.net" must be in the resolv.conf and the rest ist fiddeling with sendmail.cf.
If you want, i can send my sendmail.cf to you and with an Editor you can dig out the differences from the default one and maybe understand what they want :-))