2.88 Floppies with a NeXT Station

Started by fmh, March 09, 2008, 12:28:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fmh

I have a Mono NeXTStation with a floppy drive in it.  I found some 2.88 floppies today that were DOS formatted.  This week for the first time in years I had the NeXTStation setup.  I normally use my HP 712 or a 486 for my NeXT needs.  I put a floppy in the machine and it prompted me that it could not use the floppy and asked whether to Eject or Format it.  I chose Format and it said it would format it as NeXT file system with a capacity of 1.44.  The capacity tab was grayed out so I could not select 2.88.  I chose to format it anyway.  It formatted it as 1.44 as it said it would.  

My question is doesn't the Slab have a 2.88 floppy drive in it?  I swear I was able to use 2.88 floppies before in that machine but it has been many years since I last put any floppy into that machine.  BTW the system is running OpenStep 4.2.
Classic Computer and Video Game items for Sale/Trade
http://fmhcentral.freeservers.com/

mdriftmeyer

Quote from: "fmh"I have a Mono NeXTStation with a floppy drive in it.  I found some 2.88 floppies today that were DOS formatted.  This week for the first time in years I had the NeXTStation setup.  I normally use my HP 712 or a 486 for my NeXT needs.  I put a floppy in the machine and it prompted me that it could not use the floppy and asked whether to Eject or Format it.  I chose Format and it said it would format it as NeXT file system with a capacity of 1.44.  The capacity tab was grayed out so I could not select 2.88.  I chose to format it anyway.  It formatted it as 1.44 as it said it would.  

My question is doesn't the Slab have a 2.88 floppy drive in it?  I swear I was able to use 2.88 floppies before in that machine but it has been many years since I last put any floppy into that machine.  BTW the system is running OpenStep 4.2.

Yes. However, you might want to get unformatted 2.88 floppies, if you can find them and format to the filesystem of your choice.

Once you format to DOS it's not going to be 2.88 ready. The FAT filesystem support I don't believe ever supported 2.88 high density format.