New to Open x Next Step

Started by Bond, March 21, 2006, 03:06:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bond

Hi...,
I´m a Old mac user
I have been always searching for a Nextstep resource and now, i believe that I found!
I like to try this amazing operational system..., is possible to run it (faster?) on a VPC 7 under OSX?
Whats the diference between Open and Next step? What about rapsodhy?

sorry about my english..., thanks a lot!

Fabio
PowerMac G4 Cube Dual 1.6Ghz

RacerX

Quote from: "Bond"I like to try this amazing operational system..., is possible to run it (faster?) on a VPC 7 under OSX?

There are others who can tell you more about running NEXTSTEP or OPENSTEP in VirtualPC than I (the newest version of VirtualPC I own is 5.0.x).

QuoteWhats the diference between Open and Next step? What about rapsodhy?

From a look and feel stand point, NEXTSTEP and OPENSTEP are nearly identical, OPENSTEP is basically version 4 of NEXTSTEP. When it comes to running apps, while some of the advances of the OpenStep specifications by NeXT/Sun made it into NEXTSTEP 3.3, they were truly adopted in OPENSTEP 4.x. As such, there are some applications that require OPENSTEP 4.x. Actually, most of those require 4.2... I upgraded from 4.1 in 2000 because it was missing almost as many apps as NEXTSTEP 3.3 (plus Apple was only patching versions 3.3 and 4.2 for Y2K stuff).

Rhapsody, like OPENSTEP, is another name change for the NEXTSTEP operating system. Rhapsody represents version 5 of NEXTSTEP.

While Rhapsody also represents another change in APIs (more foundational than OPENSTEP's changes over NEXTSTEP), it also represents a radical departure from the NEXTSTEP look and feel. In fact, both Rhapsody and Mac OS 8 got their interface elements directly from the Copland project. Other than the first version of Rhapsody (version 5.0, aka Rhapsody Developer Release) the other 6 public releases of Rhapsody (and the first Developer Preview of Mac OS X) shared the same GUI.

From a technical point of view, one of the major changes from OPENSTEP to Rhapsody was the integration of Java into the APIs as an alternative to using Objective C*. There were also memory management advances and advances in the rendering engine (Display Postscript) that one would expect in a later version of an operating system.

The first major departures from Rhapsody made in Mac OS X were the removal/replacement of proprietary code from the core OS (basically, the introduction of Darwin) and the introduction of a new application environment called Carbon (which was based on work done to bring the Macintosh ToolBox APIs to Copland). By Mac OS X Developer Preview 2 Apple had started work on a new Carbon Finder (designed from scratch, not related in any way to the Finder from Mac OS 8/9) and by Mac OS X Developer Preview 3 Apple had decided against using Adobe's proprietary (and expensive) Display Postscript and started creating Display PDF (the foundation of what would become known as Quartz).

Well, that sort of covers the short history of the steps from NEXTSTEP to OPENSTEP to Rhapsody to Mac OS X. There is obviously a lot more to each of these... but this should give you the general idea how these relate to each other.

* Note: as of last year Apple dropped Java for future development within Cocoa in favor of using just Objective C rather than support both.