September 21, 2019, 11:50:49 pm

Not a Mac but interesting

Started by niteshooter, November 07, 2008, 02:36:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

niteshooter

Think I've hijacked that other fellows thread enough...

Not a Mac or NeXT but came across this while looking for micro servers.

http://www.fit-pc.com/new/slim-xp.html

nextchef

That is awesome, it is amazing how small things are getting nowadays.  It even takes a standard small notebook drive, and crams it all into that case.  Wonder how good it runs, as I am looking for a small pc to replace my aging torrent box.  It is a 500mhz AMD geode based system, so probably not too blazing, but might work.

$265 including shipping to US for version without hard disk, so you are really paying for the small size this thing provides.

Thanks for the heads up niteshooter.

Chef

helf

yeah, that is pretty awesome. Plenty fast for basic web surfing or music playing... plus it'll mount on the back of the LCD
*INACTIVE*

nextchef

Quote from: "helf"plus it'll mount on the back of the LCD

Good point helf, had not considered that specific use.  Have to look and see if they make a special mount for that purpose.

Chef

helf

:P first thing I thought.

Mount it on the back of an LCD, mount a wireless receiver for mouse/keyboard on the back as well.. short VGA cable.. only have two power cords running. You could probably get that down to one power cord with a little fiddling.
*INACTIVE*

niteshooter

Hey helf, that sounds like a neat idea. Maybe a couple of strips of velcro on the back, I don't think this thing is that heavy.

Might also make a dandy video/mp3 player for the car.

bronner

It almost is reminiscent of the top/ sides of a NeXTCUBE. Surprised nobody brought that up...

rice0067

You colud fit it in a cube or station, and use it to run linux apps via cubx. Could even run openstep in virtual box and nxhost apps to the next.
Export the volume via nfs of course!