Disk Image ?

Started by jvernet, April 04, 2006, 09:00:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jvernet

Hi,

I have some original 3.5 disk with software for NeXT. Is there a way to make 'disk image' that wil act as a real disk, to use them on a Cube without disk drive ?

Like what we can do with MacOsX ?

Jerome
--
Apple & NeXT

Andreas

Quote from: "jvernet"
I have some original 3.5 disk with software for NeXT. Is there a way to make 'disk image' that wil act as a real disk, to use them on a Cube without disk drive ?

You can make diskimages on PCs or Macs for the 1,44MB disks, or for all formats on the NeXT with DiskcopyII.
But there is NO loopback driver for mounting images on the NeXT, so you need a diskdrive.
You should try to dig out a SCSI diskdrive.

jvernet

It's 2.88 ED disk, so no way for the PC ;)

I finally use DiskCopy to make disk image, but symply copy the disk icon on the disk and made ar .tar with it.

Don't know if this will let install these software after on the Cube. Will try later.

The softs are:
- Lotus Improv
- Mathematica
- Sybase Light
- ACL

It was the first time I was able to play with Improv, impressive for this time !

Jerome
--
Apple & NeXT

Andreas

Quote from: "jvernet"It's 2.88 ED disk, so no way for the PC ;)

Hm, thats not good. You need a disk drive, no way. If you have another NeXT you can try to fiddle with an Iomega ZIP drive and copy each disk to a ZIP.
Most Programs have on each disk the same filename, so a simple copy of all disks into a drawer (and maybe burning to CD) will not work.

jvernet

Quote from: "Andreas"

Hm, thats not good. You need a disk drive, no way. If you have another NeXT you can try to fiddle with an Iomega ZIP drive and copy each disk to a ZIP.
Most Programs have on each disk the same filename, so a simple copy of all disks into a drawer (and maybe burning to CD) will not work.

That's what I though, too.  :?

But I will take a look inside the installation package. On MacOSX, it's possible to change the way the package installer work.

Jerome
--
Apple & NeXT