September 21, 2019, 09:45:35 pm

iBook G3 picture frame

Started by cjwallgren1s, December 22, 2008, 06:13:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cjwallgren1s

My iBook G3 600mHz's video died, so I bought a 800mHz board off of eBay in hopes of repairing my iBook.

However, once I disassembled the laptop, I discovered that the internal skeleton was broken.
Since I had another laptop and it was apparent that trying to cobble the iBook back together
would be more trouble that it's worth, I decided to turn it into a picture frame that could still be used as a computer.

It has a 800mHz G3, 640mb of ram, and a 60gb hard drive. It runs OS 10.4.11.

NeXTstation Mono, Apple IIe, IIe Platinum, IIc, Macintosh SE/30, IIsi, LC475, Performa 550 w/Apple IIe card, Workgroup Server 6150/66, and many more!

un

Very cool! Are there any heat problems with leaving it on for a long time?

I've got an old Powerbook that's been stuck in the middle phases of conversion to a frame for ages, now I'm inspired to try to finish :)
2 x NeXTStation Colour Turbo + 1 Defunct monitor = sad panda

cjwallgren1s

Thanks! Overheating doesn't seem to be an issue, especially with the original fan and heatsink in place. I purposly left air gaps between each picture frame for good ventilation. Most of the time the fan doesn't even kick on.
NeXTstation Mono, Apple IIe, IIe Platinum, IIc, Macintosh SE/30, IIsi, LC475, Performa 550 w/Apple IIe card, Workgroup Server 6150/66, and many more!