NeXTStep to Mac OS X connectivity

Started by andreas_g, October 29, 2009, 11:32:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

andreas_g

Having a Mac OS X machine and one NeXTStep machine in a (virtual) network, what can i do to connect them to each other?

I'd like to have a shared folder or file sharing with Mac OS X (as it works with two macs, where i can log into the other machine as a user and access the users's files).
VNC connection would also be great!

At the moment i have no idea how to access my NeXTStep machine. It doesn't show up in Mac OS X's network folder.

You may see i'm a total beginner. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Andreas

RacerX

Well, for the last 10 years or so I've been connecting my Rhapsody/Mac OS X Server/Mac OS X systems to my NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP systems via RBrowser (an FTP client that is modeled after the workspace manager).

I've always wondered if something more could be established, but not enough to spend any real time looking for a better solution. In fact there are some solutions in my networking setup that I'm not totally sure how they work. When I have my SGI IRIX systems active on my network using Xinet's K-AShare (which enables my Mac OS/Mac OS X systems to see my IRIX system via AppleTalk), I can also see and access my Mac OS X Server 1.x system via AppleTalk as well (from my Mac OS/Mac OS X systems). I'm not sure why it works, but it does.

I've considered looking into one of the AppleTalk solutions for NEXTSTEP to see if I might get the same functionality... but it was never a pressing enough need to take the time to attempt setting it up.

I don't know if any of that is helpful, but that is about the sum total of my experience on the subject.  :oops:

iDork

In my experience, RBrowser is the most convenient way to connect a NeXT machine to Mac OS X. I use NFS to share Mac OS X folders to my IRIX machines and I guess you can use it on NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP/Mac OS X Server 1.x machines too, but configuring network shares in those 3 OS's is much harder (and unintuitive) than in IRIX.
NS TurboColor,  SparcStation 5, Ultra 10, Octane SSI, HP 9000 C110, AlphaStation 200, Apple IIgs|IIe|IIc, Amiga 500+|600|1200, Commodore 64|128

Morgon

What about setting up a NFS server on MacOSX and exporting the directories to be accessible. In NeXT you then only have to do a NFS mount.

After all that's how we do it in our company with a linux server and a NeXT VM running as NeXT-server using shared user directories from the linux machine.

Don't ask me how to set up NFS on MacOSX though since I don't have access to that system but since it's core is a unix system it should have a NFS server in additio to AppleTalk.