Black rubber monitor feet / rollers

Started by pl212, November 07, 2011, 02:33:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pl212

The gentleman from whom I got my most recent Cube was kind enough to include some brand-new, but never-installed, rubber rollers for the N4000 monitor.  He had bought these to replace the original pair, which disintegrated.  I'm wondering if anyone has ever installed these?  Is there a difference between the N4000 and N4000A rollers? (My monitor is definitely an early N4000).

pl212

Update: These rollers are indeed different between the original N4000 and the more-common N4000A.  The ones pictured above are for the N4000A.

gtnicol

Now that makes me curious. I have some rollers, but I'm not sure they're for the N4000 or the N4000A. It'd be nice to have a supply of these things... I wonder if you could cast new feet out of some of the hard 2-part silicon rubber?

pl212

Here's a photo of the N4000 foot -- note that it doesn't have any rubber on it anymore:

What is interesting is that it relies on a c-clamp to stay attached to the axle, shown here:

The newer N4000A foot, above, has plastic claws that hold it onto a differently-shaped axle. I think there's no way to use the newer N4000 foot on a newer N4000A monitor, because the axle is too large -- the newer foot won't physically fit on it.

Because the rubber has disintegrated from my original N4000 foot, I don't know how you would have pulled it off to expose the c-clamp shown above.  Does anyone else?  Seems like it would take a lot of force to get it off...

gtnicol

I just checked one of the N4000 I have that has some rubber feet on it. Quite  a gooey mess but you can still see that these were about the same size as the feet for the N4000A, but slip-on (hence the grooves). I think we could cast some feet out of Flexane 94 or somesuch.

Sadly, the feet I have are soft enough now that they cannot be removed without destroying them. If anyone has some in slightly better condition, we could make a silicon mould and try to reproduce them.

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Quote from: "gtnicol"I just checked one of the N4000 I have that has some rubber feet on it. Quite  a gooey mess but you can still see that these were about the same size as the feet for the N4000A, but slip-on (hence the grooves). I think we could cast some feet out of Flexane 94 or somesuch.

Sadly, the feet I have are soft enough now that they cannot be removed without destroying them. If anyone has some in slightly better condition, we could make a silicon mould and try to reproduce them.

I've been looking at the 4000A feet and it may be possible to core them out using a drill press and vice to hold fimrly in place with 5/8" then  11/16" then 3/4"  bit which should fit over the plastic spindle with old rubber removed. The Modified custom foot should then be 3d scanable . In fact a 3d scan of the outside and using the 3d cad package to create a slightly larger than 3/4" interior sleeve might do the trick. Another project any one out there have a 3d scan printer setup , I need to take that 3D scanner printer course over at the Colorado State university for $25 LOL.
Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  sales@blackholeinc.com http://www.blackholeinc.com
303-741-9998 Serving the NeXT Community  since 2/9/93

barcher174

I wonder if making a mold would be better for this?

pl212

Just replying with the solution I ultimately came up with. I swapped the original base of the N4000 monitor with the newer, lighter N4000a base.  (They are nearly identical in design, but differ in materials.)

The rollers on the new N4000a base are ironically in great shape, so I still have the spare pair of N4000a rollers that I'm unable to use to replace the original N4000 rollers.

paolo.bertolo

Hi guys,

is there any maintenance procedure for removing the rollers on both N4000 and N4000A? I like the idea of casting spare ones using silicon moulds and would like to give it a try.

Thanks

krazycat

Ciao Paolo, I suggest you use the WD-40 oil with a thin straw: I use it successfully to unstick the knobs of old bikes.
Sprinkle between the rubber and the pin and let stand a few hours, then slightly widens the gum with a spoon to let the oil in better. After a few hours, firmly grips the rubber and twists it pulling outwards.
If it is not clear, send me a MP :-)

paolo.bertolo

Hi all,
I'm considering making a small series of rubber feet replica for the N4000. I'm fairly optimistic it's doable, I'm working on the CAD of the part and the mould.
Expenditure for CNC machined components is quite high, so before ordering anything I would like to understand if there's anyone really interested apart from me, myself and I. No commitment, on either sides.

barcher174

Definitely interested in a few sets.

pl212

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Hello: Count me in for at least 10 sets , it would be nice to finally have a solution for this .... Best regards Rob Blessin
Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  sales@blackholeinc.com http://www.blackholeinc.com
303-741-9998 Serving the NeXT Community  since 2/9/93

paolo.bertolo

Thanks for the positive feedback. I need to spend some more time for assessing the feasibility before giving green light, but having some interest is definitely helping.
One question, as I don't have N4000 rubber feet: beside the different inner section, is there any major difference in the outer design compared to N4000A or shall I assume that the visible surfaces are the same?