setting up sendmail correctly on OpenStep

Started by TUBbrain, March 26, 2016, 09:45:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TUBbrain

Hi all,

I finally managed to buy a NextStation Color, the computer that made me dream 30 years ago and I could not buy. And it (still) works !
I'm so proud to be part of your community now.

I've found a good archive to install sendmail 8.3.x and some scripts that setting relay via my Internet provider. But still have a misconfigured part : when I send an email, the "from" field is filled with the user name and not the user's email key of ni-db. However the notice of the installation script tell it take this key...
How can I fix the "from" field (because it will always be the same email for this slab) instead of make it user dependent...

Regards,

TUBbrain

allright,

I've analyzed some .ini and I found this line particularly interesting :
FEATURE(`genericstable', `netinfo -k name -v email /users')dn1

with google I understood that this line can rewrite the "from" field with the genericstable. It looks like be dynamically generated with the line, but if I execute in a shell the part "netinfo -k name -v email /users" it tells me an error with "/etc/netinfo: Permission denied" even if I'm root...

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Quote from: "TUBbrain"allright,

I've analyzed some .ini and I found this line particularly interesting :
FEATURE(`genericstable', `netinfo -k name -v email /users')dn1

with google I understood that this line can rewrite the "from" field with the genericstable. It looks like be dynamically generated with the line, but if I execute in a shell the part "netinfo -k name -v email /users" it tells me an error with "/etc/netinfo: Permission denied" even if I'm root...

Hello: I actually went through the NeXTAdministration documentation last night on NeXTSTEP 3.3 running in previous >>>> It does a very good job of helping to configure first configuring network then Email , it is complicated check your NeXTlibrary bookshelves , I still don't have everything working as it was late but I can send am email from root to my user rob .... I'm going to tinker with it and see if I can get it to work going from rob to user , the larger challenge is from getting it to go to my outside previous accounts now that I have networking working. I also want to try and get an original NeXT working through wifi and see if I will be able to see the previous NeXT on the Network.
Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  sales@blackholeinc.com http://www.blackholeinc.com
303-741-9998 Serving the NeXT Community  since 2/9/93