OS X Server 1.2v3 on PDQ (Wallstreet II)

Started by flecom, March 30, 2016, 10:04:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flecom

So I am trying to install OS X Server 1.2v3 on my Apple Powerbook G3 Wallstreet (PDQ) and am having some trouble

I boot off the CD, went through the installer (selecting install on unsupported hardware) and it reboots, goes through various stuff/checks and then gets to "Copying HFS Booter" and sits there for about 2 hours or so, then dumps into a white console that says

QuoteDISK INITIALIZATION FAILED
The installation program couldn't initialize the hard disk.
Installation can't continue.

Press Return to shutdown:

any suggestions? the hard drive was empty (unpartitioned) then I tried making a 1GB HFS+ partition and leaving the rest of the drive empty, same result... then I tried making a 1GB HFS+ partition and a second partition with the remaining space (also HFS+) and same result :(

any suggestions?

everything on the machine is stock (optical drive, CPU etc) except for the hard drive (original drive died) 40GB Seagate ATA drive

brams

Quote from: "flecom"So I am trying to install OS X Server 1.2v3 on my Apple Powerbook G3 Wallstreet (PDQ) and am having some trouble

I boot off the CD, went through the installer (selecting install on unsupported hardware) and it reboots, goes through various stuff/checks and then gets to "Copying HFS Booter" and sits there for about 2 hours or so, then dumps into a white console that says

QuoteDISK INITIALIZATION FAILED
The installation program couldn't initialize the hard disk.
Installation can't continue.

Press Return to shutdown:

any suggestions? the hard drive was empty (unpartitioned) then I tried making a 1GB HFS+ partition and leaving the rest of the drive empty, same result... then I tried making a 1GB HFS+ partition and a second partition with the remaining space (also HFS+) and same result :(

any suggestions?

everything on the machine is stock (optical drive, CPU etc) except for the hard drive (original drive died) 40GB Seagate ATA drive

Have you initialized the HDD with OS 9?

Are you using Apple drivers or 3rd party drivers?
NeXTcube Turbo Dimension, NeXTstation Turbo Color, MP2100, Q840av, Q650, WS G4 500, Pismo G4 550, SGI Octane R12K MXE, BeBox 133.

flecom

yes I tried several configurations

drive completely unpartitioned and selected "free space" in installer
drive with 1gb partition and rest free space, selected 1gb partition in installer
drive with 1gb partition and rest another partition, selected 1gb partition in installer
drive with 1gb partition and rest another partition, selected 2nd partition in installer

all gave me the same result

galgot

I had the same kind of problem trying to install on an SSD, so now I suspect the problem is not the thing being an SSD itself but the disk size (was 32 gb). Original max size Wallstreet/PDQ HDs were 8 gb.

igor_av

I use a 40gb HD in a 233mhz PDQ without any problem (well, except for the PRAM battery wich is dead). To install OS X Server 1.2, I first initialized the drive with a mac os 9 install disk : 3 x 4gb partitions and a larger 25 gb data partition. I then installed mac os 9 on the third partition and, from this installation, proceded to install OS X Server on the first partition.

If I remember well OS X Server must be installed on the first 8 gb of ATA drives.
Happy owner of a NeXTstation Turbo Color.