Rhapsody (an IRC client, not an OS)

Started by calvinb, August 10, 2016, 09:04:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

calvinb

Rhapsody is a text-based IRC client with a GUI. With some work, it DOES run. It's certainly better than ircII, mainly due to some semblance of windows. (Irssi would be nice next thing...)

You'll need to use -posix with the compiler flags. Because I'm using 4.2, I had to use the Posix support lib someone made because 4.2 guts the POSIX libraries. Stupid. Even then, that won't cover uname, but you can turn that into a gethostname call easily.

For surgery to actual code, you'll need to change any calls with return(structure) to return structure. Also, -> might be wonky, so I'd recommend turning them into (*struct).field.

Using it with PuTTY can cause wonkiness. It'll work just fine in an Xterm though.

Daxziz

Would it be possible to upload your code to github instead? That way it's much easier for everyone to download the code with the changes needed for compiling it, and it's possible for you to leave a step by step instructing on how to make it compile at a certain platform.

If we could get everyone to embrace using GitHub, it'll be much easier for the remaining community to share and download and as a bonus we're not depended on a single person having a personal dropbox or ftp server running.

-Daxziz

calvinb

I plan to reproduce my changes on GitHub, yeah. (then a git client would be nice, hmmmm)

Daxziz

It would. I bet there's several CLI based which is easy to port.

-Daxziz

calvinb

Ok, I've replicated my port here. The thing I still need to do deal with ncurses headers; Linux puts them in the root of include, but the way ncurses is packaged on NS, it's in its own subdirectory. The problem is that the ncurses headers on NS want to be referred to by their subdirectory, (<ncurses/ncurses.h> for example) not directly including that directory, (-I/usr/local/include/ncurses) otherwise it breaks because the ncurses headers import by referring to their subdirectory, so you have to change them, or change the program and break portability. Right now my system is set up with the altered headers (which I'll revert back)

There's a better way there somewhere.