NEXTSPACE - NeXTSTEP-like desktop environment for Linux

Started by stoyan255, June 14, 2019, 02:41:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

stoyan255

Hello NeXT Community!

Several years ago I've stared to create NeXTSTEP-like desktop for Linux. My goal is to create environment that looks and feels like NeXT's OS without compromises (not theme or skin to some existing sofware).
I'm writing it from scratch on Objective-C utilizing core thechnologies: CentOS Linux (mature, enterprise-level distribution), GNUstep libraries, Grand Central Dispatch and others.

Current state of project: version 0.85 (https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace/releases/tag/0.85). I use it as regular desktop everyday.
Major applications are:
- Login - login panel is identical to NeXT's one.
- Workspace - it's Workspace Manager replica with almost 90% features implemented.
- Preferences - about 60% features completed (Localization, Kyboard, Mouse, Displays, Sound)
- Terminal - you know it.  ;)

The GitHub page for project is here https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace.

P.S.: I'll be happy to see some contribution to the project.

Daxziz

Are there any plans about making it able to run Openstep applications?

And is it possible to compile use the Workspace app as an interface on OS X?

But nice work. There's a good amount of hours in it 😃

-Daxziz

oneNeXT

stoyan255

Quote from: Daxziz on June 15, 2019, 06:33:29 amAre there any plans about making it able to run Openstep applications?

And is it possible to compile use the Workspace app as an interface on OS X?

But nice work. There's a good amount of hours in it 😃

-Daxziz

OpenStep applications can be ported if sources are available.
Workspace can't be compiled on OS X because it tightly coupled with Linux.

stoyan255

Quote from: oneNeXT on June 16, 2019, 09:13:52 amDo you consider releasing ISO for x86 or RPI ?

Yes, I plan to complete all desired features and release ISO or VM image (most likely VirtualBox).

zombie

I'm just curious. Why are you doing this instead of working with GNUSTEP? Is there some difference or reason for rolling your own variant?

stoyan255

Quote from: zombie on June 19, 2019, 04:45:55 amI'm just curious. Why are you doing this instead of working with GNUSTEP? Is there some difference or reason for rolling your own variant?
Because GNUstep is a set of libraries not desktop environment. And NEXTSPACE was implemented on top of GNUstep.

P.S.: BTW, I'm a contributor/developer of GNUstep since 2001.

zombie

Thanks. Curious of your opinion of the never officially released UI from NeXTSTEP 4.0? I liked some parts, others were undercooked.

Thank you for doing this. It looks really cool.