NEXTSPACE - NeXTSTEP-like desktop environment for Linux

Started by stoyan255, June 14, 2019, 02:41:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zombie

What you guys really need to do is make an iso 1click install distro with FreeBSD or CentOS or whatever makes the most sense (which I see up there you have plans to do) and ALSO promote the heck out of the fact that the GNUSTEP apps you make can be made to run on OSX.

I think a free open source NEXT/OPENSTEP distro with compatibility to OS X is a backdoor to some major adoption.

Also, I wonder if there is a way to copy over compiled versions of the real NeXT/OPENSTEP libraries and add them in the right spots of your OS, so that old NeXT/OPENSTEP apps might just magically run. Probably non-trivial, but that would be cool. A sort of Rosetta for NeXT/OPENSTEP apps...

Anyway, kudos @Stoyan255! I really look forward to this advancing!

stoyan255

Quote from: zombie on June 30, 2019, 04:45:00 pmWhat you guys really need to do is make an iso 1click install distro with FreeBSD or CentOS or whatever makes the most sense (which I see up there you have plans to do) and ALSO promote the heck out of the fact that the GNUSTEP apps you make can be made to run on OSX.

I think a free open source NEXT/OPENSTEP distro with compatibility to OS X is a backdoor to some major adoption.

Also, I wonder if there is a way to copy over compiled versions of the real NeXT/OPENSTEP libraries and add them in the right spots of your OS, so that old NeXT/OPENSTEP apps might just magically run. Probably non-trivial, but that would be cool. A sort of Rosetta for NeXT/OPENSTEP apps...

Anyway, kudos @Stoyan255! I really look forward to this advancing!

Compatibility with OS X is a GNUstep project's task. The quote from gnustep.org "The framework closely follows Apple's Cocoa (formerly NeXT's OpenStep) APIs but is portable to a variety of platforms and architectures." It's already possible to write cross-platform applications.

NEXTSPACE is not aimed to be running on OS X (it has excellent DE) or Windows (I can't imagine why Windows user should use alternative DE - native reflects Microsoft's vision). NEXTSPACE goal is to provide comprehensive DE with inter-application communication. It would be ideal to integrate into alien GTK/Qt world...

Running the NeXT/OPENSTEP apps' binaries on Linux... It assumes tremendous amount of work and it's definitely not NEXTSPACE scope. It's better to run OPENSTEP in VirtualBox if you really need that apps.

And I'll say it again: I want to create (I've already do) desktop environment for everyday productive usage, not nostalgic toy. I really appreciate and like NeXT design team's work result - that's why I use NEXTSTEP look and feel.

BTW, create OS X like DE on top of NEXTSPACE may be an option in the future. ;)