scsi2sd v6 issues with config & install

Started by trodemaster, June 17, 2018, 11:29:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

evolver56k

Quote from: "Retro_Mac_Ken"Here's an update on where I'm at.

I tried copying the install floppy to SCSI ID 2 and NeXTStep 3.3 iso to SCSI ID 3 with the following commands. Disk6s1 is the SD card. Per the previous input I used the seek command to write to the appropriate start sector for each SCSI "device" as the scsi2sd-util lists.

sudo dd if=/3.3_Moto_Boot_Disk.img of=/dev/disk6s1 conv=notrunc seek=8388608 bs=512

sudo dd if=/nextstep.iso of=/dev/disk6s1 conv=notrunc seek=8391488 bs=512

Both commands appear to write date to the SD card as the read/write LED on my SD card reader flickers during the process. When I connected the SCSI2SD back up to the cube and boot to install floppy, nothing came up.

I checked the SD card, and it appeared that no files were written to it.

:?

You need to use the full disk, not the partition slice, so you'd need to use /dev/disk6 (or /dev/rdisk6 .. it's unbuffered and writes faster)

Retro_Mac_Ken

It worked! I got it to boot! Thank you so much!

I will be posting a step by step in my other thread soon.

evolver56k

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Quote from: "evolver56k"
Quote from: "Retro_Mac_Ken"Here's an update on where I'm at.

I tried copying the install floppy to SCSI ID 2 and NeXTStep 3.3 iso to SCSI ID 3 with the following commands. Disk6s1 is the SD card. Per the previous input I used the seek command to write to the appropriate start sector for each SCSI "device" as the scsi2sd-util lists.

sudo dd if=/3.3_Moto_Boot_Disk.img of=/dev/disk6s1 conv=notrunc seek=8388608 bs=512

sudo dd if=/nextstep.iso of=/dev/disk6s1 conv=notrunc seek=8391488 bs=512

Both commands appear to write date to the SD card as the read/write LED on my SD card reader flickers during the process. When I connected the SCSI2SD back up to the cube and boot to install floppy, nothing came up.

I checked the SD card, and it appeared that no files were written to it.

:?

You need to use the full disk, not the partition slice, so you'd need to use /dev/disk6 (or /dev/rdisk6 .. it's unbuffered and writes faster)

I have to try this as well! They also released a new version of the firmware 6.2.1 for version 6 cards at the codesrc site.
Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  sales@blackholeinc.com http://www.blackholeinc.com
303-741-9998 Serving the NeXT Community  since 2/9/93