NEXTstation Turbo Mono shuts off spontaneously

Started by armadsen, December 16, 2018, 11:20:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

armadsen

I have a new (to me) NEXTstation Turbo. I've put a v6 SCSI2SD card in it (the HDD it came with was dead). It will boot or mostly boot, but at some point after running a few minutes, it will shut off. When this happens, it's exactly as if the power cord was unplugged. That is, it's not a graceful shutdown, just a hard power off.

Anyway, I'm looking for thoughts on what could cause this. I have replaced the 3V battery with a new one, eliminating that as a possibility. Is this a common problem? Bad power supply? Need a recap?

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Quote from: "armadsen"I have a new (to me) NEXTstation Turbo. I've put a v6 SCSI2SD card in it (the HDD it came with was dead). It will boot or mostly boot, but at some point after running a few minutes, it will shut off. When this happens, it's exactly as if the power cord was unplugged. That is, it's not a graceful shutdown, just a hard power off.

Anyway, I'm looking for thoughts on what could cause this. I have replaced the 3V battery with a new one, eliminating that as a possibility. Is this a common problem? Bad power supply? Need a recap?

It is probably Capacitors but it sounds like a short. Is it  Turbo Color or Mono Turbo?  

Also try the obvious, a different power cable.  

I have used and new old stock power supplies available on my ebay store / computerpowwow.  

Another possibility is a short in the monitor cable.

Best Regards Rob Blessin
Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  sales@blackholeinc.com http://www.blackholeinc.com
303-741-9998 Serving the NeXT Community  since 2/9/93

krazycat

I had the same problem on a NeXTstation Turbo mono: it turned on by itself immediately after shutdown, or turned off by itself. Changing the battery all went well.
Since you have already changed the battery, you could probably solve by checking the contacts, or with a recap.

armadsen

Thanks Rob.  It's a Mono Turbo, not color.

Wouldn't you know it? Tried with another power cable, and it no longer shuts off. Have another problem though, which is that once the desktop comes up, I get the spinning beach ball of death, and it stays that way seemingly indefinitely.

zombie

Quote from: "armadsen"Thanks Rob.  It's a Mono Turbo, not color.

Wouldn't you know it? Tried with another power cable, and it no longer shuts off. Have another problem though, which is that once the desktop comes up, I get the spinning beach ball of death, and it stays that way seemingly indefinitely.

It's either a borked system/drive. Maybe try booting it into single user mode and force an fsck to run through. Youll have the benefit of seeing its progress.

barcher174

In the spirit of your previous discovery, have you tried a different SCSI cable?

armadsen

I think the last problem was down to a bad SD card in my SCSI2SD. I switched to a different one, and everything's working fine now. Have been able to get it connected to the network, FTP some stuff over, etc.

Thanks for the help everyone!