WTB: NeXT motherboard

Started by rthorntn, March 03, 2019, 05:48:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rthorntn

Hi All,

I'm new here and to NeXT hardware, looking for a NeXT motherboard (newer firmware, if that makes sense) and PSU, I will be in San Francisco and Seattle next week if anyone in those areas has one to sell.

I don't really have the space and so collect the internals of vintage computers.

I plan to buy NeXTBox/NeXTUSB and use my existing scsi2sd.

Thanks.

Richard
Sydney, Australia

barcher174

Hi Richard,

You should decide if you want a cube or a nextstation board. If a cube, then 68030 or 68040? A cube will require a backplane and custom power supply. The power supply is bulky. Your best bet might be to just get a nextstation, as tbe form factor isn't too much bigger than the board itself. Decide your target machine and budget and I'm sure someone here could help you out.

rthorntn

Thanks!

I think NeXTstation, bottom rung of the ladder is fine for me :-)

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Hello: Richard; I have what you need and can ship to hit a moving target lol with USPS priority mail.  I have NeXTstation listed on eBay for $79.95 .... under computerpowwow or I can just  send you a paypal invoice.
If you just want a motherboard and power supply I can do that as well for $65 and $18.50 shipping. $50 motherboard and $15 power supply or Color motherboard  $70 and $15 , no lithium battery , no ram, ram is $1 a MB max is 32Mb. Best regards Rob Blessin
Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  sales@blackholeinc.com http://www.blackholeinc.com
303-741-9998 Serving the NeXT Community  since 2/9/93

rumbeard

Quote from: "Rob Blessin Black Hole"Hello: Richard; I have what you need and can ship to hit a moving target lol with USPS priority mail.  I have NeXTstation listed on eBay for $79.95 .... under computerpowwow or I can just  send you a paypal invoice.
If you just want a motherboard and power supply I can do that as well for $65 and $18.50 shipping. $50 motherboard and $15 power supply or Color motherboard  $70 and $15 , no lithium battery , no ram, ram is $1 a MB max is 32Mb. Best regards Rob Blessin

Waving to Richard from Campbelltown area.

Bob,

What would a complete "fastest" color system cost?  I'd assume a Turbo Color Slab with a 2GB disk and 32MB RAM 60ns? With keyboard, mouse, etc. trappings.

My other question would be what display...?  I'd probably need to adapt an LCD to avoid the dim CRT and shipping issues, and I'd probably want to consider a SCSI2SD solution or something to avoid the unreliability of spinning rust. :D

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Hello :    

NeXT ADB keyboard   $25
NeXT ADB Mouse       $25
NeXT Monitor Y Cable ADB $129.95 includes 13W3 to VGA adaptor for flat panel ( you supply the flat panel)
NeXT Turbo Color Station 32Mb of ram , new capacitors $399
ADD MicroSD 4Gb with NeXTSTEP installed $139, 8Gb with hundreds of Apps $199.95 (well worth the extra 60 bucks)
Upgrade to 128Mb of ram Add $50

NeXT sound box no sound ADB adaptor $49.95 cheapest
NeXT dual compatible no sound adaptor $129.95
NeXT ADB soundcard only with new caps $119.95
NeXT Complete ADB Soundbox rare complete $199.95

Color Stations 68040 25 Mhz 32mb ram non adb only $199 ..... so you would need non adb keyboard, mouse and soundbox

Shipping $65 USPS priority mail.

This is a Really tight timeline for a complete system verse motherboard. :)

Trying to keep track of potential sales through all these variances in media is a challenge.  Facebook, messenger, twitter, linkedn , eBay, NeXTcomputers.org, text, phone , lol I try.

email to bhi1@ix.netcom.com works easiest.

Best regards Rob Blessin
Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  sales@blackholeinc.com http://www.blackholeinc.com

rumbeard

Which would you recommend ADB or non?

Second Q.  Would that pre-install 8GB be 3.3 or 4.2?

Third Q. Would it have Dev installed and patched?

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Hello:  ADB will be cheaper as the Non ADB keyboards $79 and soundboxes $249 sell for a premium.  Yes, you can have your choice of Openstep or NeXTSTEP or for an extra $75 I'll offer a second bootable backup SD image so you would have both NeXTSTEP 3.3 and Openstep 4.2 apps , yes I'll install developer and the y2k patches.   I like Openstep 4.2 . Best regards Rob Blessin

rumbeard

Quote from: "Rob Blessin Black Hole"Hello:  ADB will be cheaper as the Non ADB keyboards $79 and soundboxes $249 sell for a premium.  Yes, you can have your choice of Openstep or NeXTSTEP or for an extra $75 I'll offer a second bootable backup SD image so you would have both NeXTSTEP 3.3 and Openstep 4.2 apps , yes I'll install developer and the y2k patches.   I like Openstep 4.2 . Best regards Rob Blessin

Is there a tactile feel difference?  I tend to prefer clicky IBM type M keyboards with a deep buckling spring travel but if the ADB is black with a proper cube logo and similar to the old Mac II keyboards in key feel it wouldn't matter much to me.  I'd assume non-ADB came out first and that's why it's rarer and then NeXT switched to ADB for the last hardware runs.

barcher174

The non-adb is defintely my preferance. More comparible to the model m. The keyboard collectors caught on to the quality of the switches and it pushed the price up.

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Hello: Yes, I also like non adb and Brian is right the keyboarders  have forced the price up for the clicky feel :) or alps keyswitches and non adb came out first . ADB was indeed for the turbo color redesign but they Turbo's are dual compatible. Best regards Rob Blessin  The alps  creme keyswitches are through the roof on price at $199.95 but I genuinely don't see the difference between them and black keyswitches  for $79 .