nextstep on a sparcstation 20...

Started by helf, February 11, 2006, 03:24:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

helf

Hi, I just bought a ss20 for my collection.. Its a dual supersparc 75mhz.. Will NS run on a dual sparc? or does it have to be a single cpu?
*INACTIVE*

rice0067

I did this once.
As I remember it only uses one cpu, but the other one doesnt bother it.
And its best if you have the ram for the onboard frame buffer. (get the 8 meg if you can)

I seem to recall that it ran pretty well too :)
bill

helf

Thanks for the reply... The specs on my ss20 are...

Supersparc dual 75mhz
256mb ram (upper limit for nextstep I think)
HME 100mbit sbus NIC
ZX sbus 24bit framebuffer
4.2GB scsi (the limit for NS is 2gb per partition and 4 for OS4.2, correct?)

If it will run fine on that, I'm going to dual boot between solaris 8 and NS :)
*INACTIVE*

helf

oh yeah. I am also eventually going to upgrade it to a dual hypersparc 180mhz. any idea if nextstep will run on a hypersparc 180?  i know it wont work on some cpus apparently.

Thanks for the help
*INACTIVE*

blackcube

Quote from: "helf"oh yeah. I am also eventually going to upgrade it to a dual hypersparc 180mhz. any idea if nextstep will run on a hypersparc 180?  i know it wont work on some cpus apparently.

Thanks for the help

From NeXT's own documentation: Sun microSPARC II 60, 70, 85& 110mhz; SuperSPARC+ 50, 60,90mhz only.

reference: http://www.levenez.com/NeXTSTEP/NeXTSTEP.pdf

I seem to remember that on a SS20 it ran better with the second cpu removed.  I'd keep your hypersparc dual 180 for Solaris and pickup a cheap SS5 for NeXTStep.  SS5's are a dime a dozen these days.
www.blackcube.org - The Texas State Home for Orphaned and Wayward Computers

helf

Thanks for the info. I may get a ss5.. they go for 10 bucks or less :)
*INACTIVE*

crimsonRE

NextStep does NOT have a driver for the Sun ZX graphics board (I tried it). Your best bet is, as mentioned, to find the VSIMM that allows use of the onboard 24-bit SX (CG14) color graphics: the 4MB is Sun part number 501-2481 (limited to 1152x900 res.) or the 8MB (501-2482). Next best would be the TurboGX (TGX) graphics board (an Sbus card), which are very common on eBay.

Note that any of the SuperSPARC-I or SuperSPARC-II Mbus modules should be able to run NextStep (I've used both varieties). Only one processor, as mentioned before, gets used (no SMP). The best would be the 90MHz SS-II but I've never seen one of those. I've got two 85MHz modules in one of my SS20's and NextStep really does fly on this - noticeably quicker than the 75MHz, and quite a bit faster than my 110MHz SPARCstation 5...

NextStep does NOT run on HyperSPARCs.

110MHz microSPARC-II in a SPARCstation 5 works fine, particularly with the S24 graphics board for 24-bit color. It is definitely slower than the SS20 with 75 or 85MHz SuperSPARC-II. These have 1MB secondary (L2) caches, whereas the uS-II has NO secondary cache.

Cheers,
crimsonRE

helf

ok. SO no SMP. no hypersparcs, no 512mb of ram, no ZX card... at this point in time.  I might as well stick with solaris :P THanks for the info.
*INACTIVE*

mevdev

Get a copy of Web Objects, install the solaris runtime stuff, then you will have the tools and the libs to run fat binaries.

The tools are there, but Solaris is a weak comparison to nextstep.

RacerX

Another option is OpenStep Solaris.

Minimum System Requirements
    CPU: SPARC and UltraSPARC

Operating System: Solaris 2.4 and up

Memory
       - 32MB (8 bit color displays)
       - 48MB (24 bit color displays)

Disk Space
       - minimum: 20 MB
       - recommended: 70 MB

I believe all the parts needed for OpenStep Solaris 1.0 can be found here and for 1.1 can be found here. And OpenStep Solaris apps can be found here. Documentation on this implementation of OpenStep can be found here (which is also a good source of general information about using NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP), and documents on OpenStep development can be found here.

Note that I've never actually tried this... nor do I know if WebObjects for Solaris would work with this. But as I understand it, OpenStep Solaris is just another environment that you can pick to log into like CDE and OpenWindows.

The history behind this release is that Sun had planned to drop CDE for OpenStep Solaris and NeXT was planning on dropping OPENSTEP after 4.x and having their users move to Sun's systems for the future of the NeXT operating environment. It was a good plan as Sun was already using Display Postscript which made porting any apps that made use of Postscript elements of the NeXT OS much easier than any other implementation of OpenStep for other operating systems.

The 1.0 release was to test the new environment in 1996 as I recall... then Apple bought NeXT, and Sun dropped the idea of replacing CDE with OpenStep Solaris. The 1.1 release is unofficial, and mainly includes enhancements and bug fixes that were in the works when the project was shutdown.

I don't think Sun ever got around to finishing their port of the Lighthouse Design Office Suite to OpenStep Solaris (which was their reason for buying Lighthouse). But their are a few apps out there for it.

crimsonRE

Quote from: "helf"ok. SO no SMP. no hypersparcs, no 512mb of ram, no ZX card... at this point in time.  I might as well stick with solaris :P THanks for the info.

I don't know where you got information on NextStep being limited to using only 256MB of RAM. I'm writing this using OmniWeb 2.7 under NextStep 3.3 on an SS20 with 352MB of RAM. /usr/bin/hostinfo tells me it recognizes all the memory.

With a 75MHz CPU, NS 3.3 will fly pretty nicely (and you can leave the second processor in: I dual boot this box, with Sol 2.8 being on the 2 other disks).

So just get one of the LEGO graphics boards (GX,GX+,TGX,TGX+ - TGX+ is fastest), they're dirt cheap on eBay, and keep an eye out for the CG14 framebuffer VSIMM in order to activate the onboard SX graphics. This is the fastest graphics for the SS20 (and only way to get 24-bit color on it under NextStep).

Note also that Sun dropped support (e.g. the driver) for the ZX after Solaris 2.6 (I've got mine in a machine running 2.5). And Sun's OpenGL implementation doesn't use the ZX's hardware acceleration for 3D operations, which is unfortunately true for the SX also. The HW accel. for those is used only for graphics programs using the XGL (& XIL, I think) API's, Sun's own libs from back in the day (and the dev tools for these were only sold separately from the OS).

crimsonRE