SPARC station setup

Started by dravier, February 12, 2006, 03:13:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dravier

I've been playing around with the idea of setting up an internal DNS and / or a low end personal web server.  I have two SPARC stations, a 2 and an IPX.  Was curious if either of these are NS3.3 compatible?  Recently got these from a friend and currently know little about them.  Thanks for the help.
dravier

Turbo Color slab NS 3.3

"a little rebellion now and then is a good thing"
- Thomas Jefferson

crimsonRE

NextStep will probably not run on these old SPARC processors. These machines are of sun4c architecture, whereas NextStep runs only on some of the sun4m machines (4,5,10,and 20, but not on the Classis, LX, or ZX which use microSPARC-I procs.), at least according to the documentation. I've never tried to install it on any sun4c machine, of which I only have one - an IPC, running SunOS 4.1.4 with the X/NeWS GUI (kinda neat - it shares an attribute with NextStep in that it also does Display PostScript).

crimsonRE

mevdev

I just got WO 4.5 and the dev tools from rhapsody are included. They run in NT, HP/UX and solaris.

I can't believe it, but it is the whole tool set!
I'm sure the libs are there to run fat binaries as well. You just wouldn't get the coolness of nextstep. You could develop and write software however.

So, perhaps this is a solution for you. There are many copies of WebObjects 4.0 and 4.5 on ebay.