Where To Get OPENSTEP

Started by GRMrGecko, October 10, 2007, 01:39:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GRMrGecko

I have been looking for a openstep cd and i can't find one not even a iso download.
Where can i get a copy or iso of OPENSTEP CD?

pentium

You buy it on ebay.
Chances are that nobody even bothered to rip and produce a torrent of any NeXT media.
We also frown on people downloading it.

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram

GRMrGecko

Quote from: "pentium"You buy it on ebay.
Chances are that nobody even bothered to rip and produce a torrent of any NeXT media.
We also frown on people downloading it.

I have looked on ebay all i can find is 2 CD Set 750 working NeXT Applications
no installation cds

Nitro

Rob doesn't appear to be selling OPENSTEP at the moment:

http://stores.ebay.com/Black-Hole-Inc-NeXT-Computers

And yes, asking where to download it is frowned upon.  If you wish to run OPENSTEP on a platform other than original NeXT hardware, then you will have to purchase an original disk.
Nitro

GRMrGecko

Quote from: "Nitro"And yes, asking where to download it is frowned upon.  If you wish to run OPENSTEP on a platform other than original NeXT hardware, then you will have to purchase an original disk.

I'm planing to run it in vpc5 on my Mac.
I'm thinking this is software nobody cares about since Apple bought NeXT.

nextchef

Quote from: "Nitro"Rob doesn't appear to be selling OPENSTEP at the moment:

http://stores.ebay.com/Black-Hole-Inc-NeXT-Computers

And yes, asking where to download it is frowned upon.  If you wish to run OPENSTEP on a platform other than original NeXT hardware, then you will have to purchase an original disk.

Did OPENSTEP ever ship on any black hardware from the factory?  I had thought it was released after NeXT had stopped making hardware.

Chef

Nitro

Quote from: "nextchef"Did OPENSTEP ever ship on any black hardware from the factory?  I had thought it was released after NeXT had stopped making hardware.

Chef

That's correct.  NEXTSTEP 3.3 and OPENSTEP 4.2 both shipped after NeXT ceased hardware production.
Nitro

RacerX

Quote from: "GRMrGecko"I'm thinking this is software nobody cares about since Apple bought NeXT.

I find in such cases that thinking something isn't as helpful as knowing something. Given that, lets look at the actual history of NeXT software since Apple bought NeXT...
  • OPENSTEP development continued after Apple purchased NeXT, with OPENSTEP 4.2 (and I believe 4.1 too) having been released by Apple.
  • Apple continued to support NEXTSTEP 3.3 (and all prior releases) Developer & User, OPENSTEP 4.0 & 4.1 Developer & User, Enterprise Objects Framework Release 1.0 & 1.1, PDO Releases 1.0, 2.0 & 3.0, WebObjects Release 1.0 & 2.0, NextTime and DBKit until May 15, 2000.
  • Apple continued to sell licenses for OPENSTEP Enterprise 4.1, Enterprise Objects Framework 2.0, PDO 4.0 & D'OLE and WebObjects 3.0 & 3.1 Developer & Deployment until May 15, 2000.
  • Apple continued to sell licenses for Enterprise Objects Framework 1.2 & 2.1, OPENSTEP Enterprise 4.2, OPENSTEP 4.2 Developer & User and WebObjects Release 3.5.1 Developer & Deployment (including EOF 2.2) until September 30, 2000.
I think the fact that Apple continued to sell and support products which are generally thought of as NeXT software through the end of 2000 shows that your statement is completely erroneous. People continued to care about this software long after Apple bought NeXT. And Apple continued to push NeXT products until Apple was able to bring comparable products to market (the release of Rhapsody 5.3 allowed the use of WebObjects and Enterprise Objects on Apple hardware, and WebObjects 4.x allowed the use of OpenStep Enterprise applications to be used on other platforms while running on an Apple product).

If no one cared about NeXT software, why did Apple agree to let Black Hole Inc. continue to make the product available? You can buy legally licensed (with restrictions*) versions of NEXTSTEP and OPENSTEP today... more than 10 years after OPENSTEP 4.2 was released.

Further, if this was software nobody cares about, then why are there still people using it today? Why is there this forum for you to ask questions? It seems to me that a lot of people cared about this software long after Apple bought NeXT... including you, since you are here asking about it.

The licenses sold by Black Hole Inc. are for noncommercial usage.[/list]

SoylentGreen

I'm looking to buy a set of openstep CDs.

I recently purchased a set of openstep cds on eBay from BlackHole computers and they never replied and never shipped.

All email to blackhole bounces and they do not answer the phone.

It looks like blackhole has gone down the black hole.

So does anybody know where to obtain a set of openstep cds.

mdriftmeyer

Quote from: "GRMrGecko"I have been looking for a openstep cd and i can't find one not even a iso download.

I suppose I could rip the ISO images.

I could also rip the Openstep 4.0 Release 1 MECCA that shows the future of Openstep that was never released.

pergamon

Quote from: "mdriftmeyer"I could also rip the Openstep 4.0 Release 1 MECCA that shows the future of Openstep that was never released.

Is this what has been referred to as "NeXTSTEP 4":

http://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Videos/ns4beta5.avi

Or is what you have something else?

kb7sqi

Quote from: "mdriftmeyer"
Quote from: "GRMrGecko"I have been looking for a openstep cd and i can't find one not even a iso download.

I could also rip the Openstep 4.0 Release 1 MECCA that shows the future of Openstep that was never released.

Hi Marc,
   I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to have a copy of that.  :D After shutting down my systems for close to a year, I've truly enjoyed using all of them again since I powered everything back up several months ago.  I really missed the elegance of NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP.  Since then, whenever I get the chance, I'll sit down in front of one my systems and enjoy using them.  Am I one of the few people who actually like the old NON-ADB keyboards on the NeXT systems?  I always hated the mouse, but I love the keyboard.  Kinda like the keyboards for the original Mac's upto the Mac Plus.   I hated it when Apple first moved to ADB keyboards.  Oh well,  atleast I still 3 more slabs as backups.  Take care & welcome to the forums!

pergamon

Quote from: "mdriftmeyer"I could also rip the Openstep 4.0 Release 1 MECCA that shows the future of Openstep that was never released.

Actually, I just realized that I've had a set of Openstep 4.0 Prerelease 1 CDs (user + dev) for a long time, but never actually tried installing them.  Is this the same thing as the MECCA version?

mdriftmeyer

Quote from: "pergamon"

Actually, I just realized that I've had a set of Openstep 4.0 Prerelease 1 CDs (user + dev) for a long time, but never actually tried installing them.  Is this the same thing as the MECCA version?

MECCA is the Openstep that was never released.

mdriftmeyer

Quote from: "kb7sqi"
Quote from: "mdriftmeyer"

Hi Marc,
   I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to have a copy of that.  :D After shutting down my systems for close to a year, I've truly enjoyed using all of them again since I powered everything back up several months ago.  I really missed the elegance of NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP.  Since then, whenever I get the chance, I'll sit down in front of one my systems and enjoy using them.  Am I one of the few people who actually like the old NON-ADB keyboards on the NeXT systems?  I always hated the mouse, but I love the keyboard.  Kinda like the keyboards for the original Mac's upto the Mac Plus.   I hated it when Apple first moved to ADB keyboards.  Oh well,  atleast I still 3 more slabs as backups.  Take care & welcome to the forums!

I have recently bought the new slim keyboard from Apple currently running on my Debian Linux box, but I would pay twice if I could get a NeXTStation keyboard [in black of course] from Apple.

Perhaps if I had not left during the chaos I could have been more of a voice for the NeXT crowd. I still find Apple has missed the boat on their goals for growing their developer base and user base.

I'm not an advocate for cloning as it did cannibalize sales, but this current product matrix has a few gaping holes.

One of the current holes I see in the Industry is the pathetic prices for a quality S-IPS display panel.

I've been wanting to buy either a 26in monitor or a couple 22 in monitors and I'm stuck with CRT because the color spectrum is weak for anything under $600 or the quality of text is weak all due to cheap LCD display technology in mass production.

These TN+Film and MVA quality panels are junk. The S-IPS are massively expensive and the PVA panels compromise quality of color.

The Cinema displays are S-IPS but they aren't competitively priced to take out the competition.

I could discuss the Enterprise but Steve gave up on that goal long ago.