Where To Get OPENSTEP

Started by GRMrGecko, October 10, 2007, 01:39:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

slomacuser

Quote from: "mdriftmeyer"MECCA is the Openstep that was never released.

I am not for sure for this, but I belive you are wrong. The OPENSTEP never had interface like on the picture above. It was NEXTSTEP beta not OPENSTEP. The OPENSTEP beta user interface was changed to NS 3.3 look a like graphic ... I installed the OPENSTEP 4.0 beta and it looks like OS 4.2 or NS 3.3

mdriftmeyer

Quote from: "slomacuser"
Quote from: "mdriftmeyer"MECCA is the Openstep that was never released.

I am not for sure for this, but I belive you are wrong. The OPENSTEP never had interface like on the picture above. It was NEXTSTEP beta not OPENSTEP. The OPENSTEP beta user interface was changed to NS 3.3 look a like graphic ... I installed the OPENSTEP 4.0 beta and it looks like OS 4.2 or NS 3.3

I'll bet you $1 Million I'm right.

Why? I worked at NeXT Engineering. That Openstep 4.0 Prerelease 1 is MECCA.

It was during the Prerelease 2 cycle that Steve was introduced WebObjects 1.0 and he canceled focus on Openstep and insisted on keeping the NS 3.3 Interface.

Steve Neeroff [sp?] took over the UI Design when Keith Ohlfs left NeXT after NS 3.3 was released.

mdriftmeyer

Go to Apple Engineering and ask to see the systems lineup of NeXTSTEP to OS X history. There will be a Black NeXTStation dual PPC Brick that was never released running NS 3.3 and at one time a version of MECCA running on a DEC PC and the ObjectStation 41

helf

I want copies of the beta... :) Be fun to play with.
*INACTIVE*

pergamon

Quote from: "mdriftmeyer"That Openstep 4.0 Prerelease 1 is MECCA.

Holy cow, I've had that fabled release sitting under my nose for like 5 years now, and never knew what it was.  Guess what I'll be doing this evening?

And actually, I have an extra (original) copy too ;)

nextchef

Quote from: "pergamon"
Quote from: "mdriftmeyer"That Openstep 4.0 Prerelease 1 is MECCA.

Holy cow, I've had that fabled release sitting under my nose for like 5 years now, and never knew what it was.  Guess what I'll be doing this evening?

And actually, I have an extra (original) copy too ;)

Well isnt that the way it goes .. so much stuff that you never know what kind of "hidden jems" you have.  Be sure let us know how it works out.

On a related note, welcome to the forums Marc.  It is nice to have someone else here who can shed some more light on this release.

Chef

slomacuser

well try it and report ... I am really courious, ...

so who will be the first to share the ISO image ?  :lol:  8)

krfkeith

Quote from: "mdriftmeyer"Go to Apple Engineering and ask to see the systems lineup of NeXTSTEP to OS X history. There will be a Black NeXTStation dual PPC Brick that was never released running NS 3.3 and at one time a version of MECCA running on a DEC PC and the ObjectStation 41

Are you saying there was a NeXT RISC Workstation that actually worked?
Newton MessagePad 2100, Original MessagePad (OMP), 2 DataRover 840s
Gateway Laptop w/ OPENSTEP 4.2
NeXTstation Color & Turbo Color

neozeed

Quote from: "krfkeith"
Quote from: "mdriftmeyer"Go to Apple Engineering and ask to see the systems lineup of NeXTSTEP to OS X history. There will be a Black NeXTStation dual PPC Brick that was never released running NS 3.3 and at one time a version of MECCA running on a DEC PC and the ObjectStation 41

Are you saying there was a NeXT RISC Workstation that actually worked?

Wow so the PPC build was way further along?  It's no wonder Apple jumped on NeXT!  It's such a shame in a way the lenght of development from OSX 1.0 to OSX 10..... But then the wait was well worth it.
# include <wittycomment.h>

kb7sqi

I've heard about the RISC system running NS 3.3 as well.  Besides getting a copy of the Beta above, I personally would love to have a copy of OPENSTEP 4.2 for the HP Gecko's.  I've seen several references to it over the years.  I know it was never released officially.  But if you try to boot on OPENSTEP 4.2 User cd, the HP boot loader is still there.   :D

krfkeith

Ooh, yeah that would be nice!
Newton MessagePad 2100, Original MessagePad (OMP), 2 DataRover 840s
Gateway Laptop w/ OPENSTEP 4.2
NeXTstation Color & Turbo Color

kb7sqi

Besides using an x86 system because of speed, I think the HP's make the next best NEXTSTEP system.  They're nice.  I love my 100 Mhz Gecko, along w/ my 110 Mhz Sparc 5, & 2 running NeXT Turbo Slabs. 1 Mono/1 Color.  :wink:   Sure there's quite a few things that weren't published for HPPA/Sparc, but I've re-compiled quite a few apps for them if the source was available.   Each system has their own quirks.  I'll keep them going till they stop working. Take care.

mdriftmeyer

Quote from: "kb7sqi"I've heard about the RISC system running NS 3.3 as well.  Besides getting a copy of the Beta above, I personally would love to have a copy of OPENSTEP 4.2 for the HP Gecko's.  I've seen several references to it over the years.  I know it was never released officially.  But if you try to boot on OPENSTEP 4.2 User cd, the HP boot loader is still there.   :D

I have the copy of Openstep 4.2 User/Developer PR2 that became the final GM bits during the merger.

Who has host space for Openstep 4 Beta and 4.2?

slomacuser

well, I dont think RacerX  :wink: would like to see or hear this ... anyway I already gave you my space for OPENSTEP Beta ...

kb7sqi

Quote from: "mdriftmeyer"
Quote from: "kb7sqi"I've heard about the RISC system running NS 3.3 as well.  Besides getting a copy of the Beta above, I personally would love to have a copy of OPENSTEP 4.2 for the HP Gecko's.  I've seen several references to it over the years.  I know it was never released officially.  But if you try to boot on OPENSTEP 4.2 User cd, the HP boot loader is still there.   :D

I have the copy of Openstep 4.2 User/Developer PR2 that became the final GM bits during the merger.

Who has host space for Openstep 4 Beta and 4.2?

You're starting to give me hopes of seeing OPENSTEP on my Gecko!  8)  Sure, I still wouldn't have OmniWeb 3.x but I think I could live w/ that.