Where To Get OPENSTEP

Started by GRMrGecko, October 10, 2007, 01:39:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RacerX

Quote from: "slomacuser"well, I dont think RacerX  :wink: would like to see or hear this ... anyway I already gave you my space for OPENSTEP Beta ...

:shock: Did I say anything?

I just can't afford to be directly associated with this type of stuff... Apple is my bread and butter, so I need to stay on the up and up with everything.

:roll:

Besides, I'm thinking about asking Apple to let me sell NEXTSTEP 3.3, OPENSTEP 4.2 and Mac OS X Server 1.2 (similar to the agreement that Black Hole has), so the last thing I want is any question as to my standing on warez.

That having been said, I'm still curious to see what you guys find out about this stuff.

mdriftmeyer

Quote from: "slomacuser"well, I dont think RacerX  :wink: would like to see or hear this ... anyway I already gave you my space for OPENSTEP Beta ...

You're correct and I'm testing ISO images currently.

However, the more available archives the merrier.

mdriftmeyer

Quote from: "RacerX"

:shock: Did I say anything?

I just can't afford to be directly associated with this type of stuff... Apple is my bread and butter, so I need to stay on the up and up with everything.

:roll:

Besides, I'm thinking about asking Apple to let me sell NEXTSTEP 3.3, OPENSTEP 4.2 and Mac OS X Server 1.2 (similar to the agreement that Black Hole has), so the last thing I want is any question as to my standing on warez.

That having been said, I'm still curious to see what you guys find out about this stuff.

There is no support for Openstep, NeXTSTEP nor beta software in MECCA.

Apple won't be on your bum if this is for individual non-resale use.

mdriftmeyer

Note: Seeing as how some of us at NeXT were royally "dicked" during the merger I'm not personally in a mood to be NDA loving seeing as my NDA long ago expired and the lack of actual salary reviews that never came for nearly 2 years ended my desire to be sheepish towards the inner sanctum.

It's taken 11 years since our last NeXT meeting in Redwood City, CA and the OS is still not where Steve, Avie, Peter, Ali, Scott Forstall and others discussed during this meeting and subsequent meetings.

If I have to see another "innovative" pocket video player as the next wave of Apple hardware I think I'll start a blog on how reinventing the wheel has become the norm inside Apple versus moving the markets forward.

We were to have an SMP kernel with a minimum 32 CPUs supported shortly after the merger.

I think someone was on some wonderful Bullshit when they hyped this distortion up.

helf

I wish they had kept with a simple UI like NS/OS have and all. OSX is a weird bastardization of the OS :(

It's too fricken flashy.
*INACTIVE*

mdriftmeyer

Quote from: "helf"I wish they had kept with a simple UI like NS/OS have and all. OSX is a weird bastardization of the OS :(

It's too fricken flashy.

Let me just say that I never saw so many whiny brats working for such a talented company as Apple during those painful days on how the Operating System would look.

We tried to get Keith Ohlfs back but he was tied to heavy stock options at Microsoft during the WebTV buyout and couldn't just let that go.

Tim Wasko did a great job to pick up the slack, but there is only one Keith Olhfs.

Something else that made Keith so unique was that he was able to get people to work around his vision and not have fight after fight over icons.

You'd have to have been there in the Restaurant the day Steve settled upon the "Think Different" campaign.

You had people bitching about it not being grammatically correct and ignoring the vision behind it.

He compared it to Nike's Just Do It, or the Dairy Industry Got Milk campaign [and had to mock it by noting that Milk was never very healthy for you and he uses orange juice in his morning granola, by I digress].

mdriftmeyer

This is what I've made so far:

Openstep4.2-Pr2User.iso [461.5 MB]
Openstep4.2-Pr2Developer.iso [412 MB]
Openstep4-Pr1User.iso [445.4 MB]
Openstep4-Pr1Developer.iso [355.1 MB]

I've got to get the boot floppies for 4.0 tar.gz'd up.

There is an

OPENSTEP
Release 4.0
m68K installation
Prerelease 1
Disk#1 of 1

OPENSTEP
Release 4.0
Intel installation
Prerelease 1
Disk#1 of 1

OPENSTEP
Release 4.0
Intel Drivers
Prerelease 1
Disk#1 of 1

pentium

Pardon me for being out of the circle but what's going on?
Someone mentioned the word beta and the rest flew over my head.

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram

kb7sqi

You know, one thing I hadn't even thought about while discussing OPENSTEP 4.2 for the Gecko,  if you have the developer, that means I should be able to get a newer compiler to work for NEXTSTEP 3.3!  :D  Even 2.7.2.1 would be better than 2.5.8 for quite a few things.  Like OpenSSH being a major one.  I can compile 4.7p1 on OPENSTEP, but it don't like 2.5.8 on NEXTSTEP.  That'd make life a little easier.  Ok, now I'm really interested.  8)

krfkeith

so where are you storing these?
Newton MessagePad 2100, Original MessagePad (OMP), 2 DataRover 840s
Gateway Laptop w/ OPENSTEP 4.2
NeXTstation Color & Turbo Color

mdriftmeyer

I've uploaded 4.0Pr1 User.

I'm responding to others who want to host. It's just a matter of bandwidth and time for them to be uploaded.

kb7sqi

Marc,
  I just wanted to say thanks again for bringing some great background info from NeXT to the forums.  As long as I've had my systems now, I love still learning new things about them.   :D

mdriftmeyer

If you want to host these, just message me and I'll upload them.

P.S. You're welcome. I've got quite a few interesting moments I could recall.

P.P.S. By comparison, NeXT with its roughly 300 employees was just the right size of company to work in. Great people, very open, honest and brilliant co-workers.

Lots of good looking women who aren't stuck on themselves and very outgoing. Great, down to earth folks.

Apple was my second favorite place to work and if I had given it more time probably just barely behind NeXT. Going broke just forced my hand during a divorce.

- Marc

kb7sqi

Quote from: "mdriftmeyer"If you want to host these, just message me and I'll upload them.

P.S. You're welcome. I've got quite a few interesting moments I could recall.

P.P.S. By comparison, NeXT with its roughly 300 employees was just the right size of company to work in. Great people, very open, honest and brilliant co-workers.

Lots of good looking women who aren't stuck on themselves and very outgoing. Great, down to earth folks.

Apple was my second favorite place to work and if I had given it more time probably just barely behind NeXT. Going broke just forced my hand during a divorce.

- Marc

Hey Marc,
    I'll shoot you an email tomorrow.  Over the years, I've been offered countless jobs working on OPENSTEP.  But I didn't think it be anything long term so I eventually became a Sun SSE.  I'm sure life would be alot different, but I enjoy my job for the most part & do enjoy Solaris besides working w/ NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP/Mac OSX.  :D  I can just imagine how fun it would've been working @ NeXT back in the hey day.  I probably would've never left the office. rofl.

battery

so where are these being uploaded? I've been looking for openstep for a long while fruitlessly. I'd love to get my hands on it again!  :D