Where To Get OPENSTEP

Started by GRMrGecko, October 10, 2007, 01:39:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mdriftmeyer

Quote from: "kb7sqi"Hi all,
  Been a while.  Works been extremely busy the last few months.  Sorry!  I wanted to say something though about "my download restrictions."  Remember I host the sftp server & web server on my own systems.  While people are almost always sucking everything off the sftp/web server, I have to try to work at the same time.  I need my bandwidth like everyone else!  If someone has a problem w/ the bandwidth caps on the sftp server, I hate to tell ya, but TOUGH!  The only thing I've asked of people is show some restraint & not try to download everything all in one or two sessions, yet people continue to try to do it anyway.  I know several folks have got to have complete mirrors of the sftp & the web server.  I keep logs, I know people frequently mirror them both.  If someone else is willing to host them, go ahead, I don't have any problems w/ that. :-)
   If someone's requested access to the sftp server & I haven't gotten back to you, sorry  I'm not ignoring you.  I've been busy working.  I'll get back to you when I have time.  
    I think most people here know I love my NeXT systems as much as anyone else here.  I love to still try to compile stuff when I get a chance and I love visiting these forums, but if I get more emails w/ complaints about the sftp server.  I'll close it for good.  Sorry, I just don't have time to deal w/ the hassle.  I hope everyone is doing well!  Take care.
     Marc, glad to see ya back on the forums btw. :-)  I'd forgot to pm you but I did have a few people state that the MECCA floppy images are corrupt.  If/When you have time could you re-upload them.  If you drop them in the incoming folder, I'll move them over to where they belong.  Thanks & I apologize for my tone.

No problemo. I'll drop them in there.

- Marc

pentium

Quote from: "lowell"https://s3.amazonaws.com/next-archive/openstep42-user.tgz
https://s3.amazonaws.com/next-archive/openstep42-developer.tgz

Hey everyone, as promised, here are the two openstep CDs. The User archive contains both the ISO and the floppy images required for booting.

The link will change as it's a temporary location - I just wanted to get them back up as quick as I could since Marc went out of his way for me.

The NS33 CDs will follow as will preinstalled VMWare Fusion environments of each.

For now, I'd appreciate if the the links weren't shared beyond this forum (I can't set up redirects for when the location is final since I don't own amazonaws.com) but I won't do anything if you do.

Did you just move the files? I was midway through the download when they stopped.

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram

lowell

Quote from: "pentium"

Did you just move the files? I was midway through the download when they stopped.

no.. amazon likely had a little hiccup is all.. whatever it was, it looks resolved - i'm able to start a download on my end.

armus2112

files are there right now (3:24pm est).  I grabbed them and can provide if you need.

pentium

Well if someone else can supply them I would appreciate it as the downloads keep freezing and failing on me in the same place.

dai_vernon

I could make a torrent, would that work?  I am also talking to some friends that have servers running to see if they could be arsed to help.  My server currently isn't on a network :S

pentium

Sure, that would work as I'm planning on setting up a torrent server later this year.

armus2112

I created a torrent for the OpenStep 4.2 media (user CD + dev CD) at this private tracker:
http://currygoat11.myftp.org:6969

be patient as sometimes the torrent takes a while to get goin

dai_vernon

I will put my seedbox on that for as long as possible

ebann

Any chance I could get my hands on OPENSTEP Enterprise (I.e. For Windows NT)?  I read somewhere that it works in Windows 2000 and Vista too!
White Box running OPENSTEP 4.2
Dual Pentium III 550MHz | 320MB ECC SDRAM
Matrox Millenium II 8MB
SanDisk 2GB Compact Flash (CF-to-IDE)

jonhoops

I am in the process of sorting all my old Next stuff and think I may have a copy of Openstep Enterprise.  I will let you know in a day or two.

ebann

Quote from: "jonhoops"I am in the process of sorting all my old Next stuff and think I may have a copy of Openstep Enterprise.  I will let you know in a day or two.

Thank you!

Since you're at it, OS4.2 for Sun/Sparc USER and DEV would also be welcome... I'm scavenging for a SPARCstation 5 or 10, whichever comes my way!

edit: nevermind... didn't know that the OS4.2 media, all platforms have been combined into a single installation CD with tri-fat binaries (IIRC, HP-PA was dropped as a platform for OPENSTEP).
White Box running OPENSTEP 4.2
Dual Pentium III 550MHz | 320MB ECC SDRAM
Matrox Millenium II 8MB
SanDisk 2GB Compact Flash (CF-to-IDE)

jonhoops

Found the cd of openstep enterprise.  email me your address and I can mail it to you.  i could also see if I can make an image of it and put it up on my idisk.

jonhoops at mac dot com

benj007

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for OpenStep 4.2 User and Developer ISO files.

I'm starting to be interested by this system as well as the NextStep 3.3 and so I found this board which now gives me a chance to talk about that :)

I took a look on Ebay but no OpenStep CDs to sell at all.

If anyone has both user and developer iso files, please let me know.

Thanks in advance :)