NEXTSTEP CD-ROM releases

Started by it68000, January 25, 2008, 02:06:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

it68000

Hello,

I've always thought that NEXTSTEP 3.0 was the first NEXT OS released on CD-ROM but I've recently gotten a CD with NEXTSTEP 2.2 .
So, what was the first NEXTSTEP release on CD-ROM?
NEXTstation Turbo Color with NEXTSTEP 3.3, OPENSTEP 4.2 emulated on Parallels for PC, NEXTCube Dimension (25Mhz)

pergamon

I've heard it was available on CD, but not very commonly.  I don't think it was meant for public consumption, just for service guys to put it on the machines that needed 2.2.  It is available on floppy too.

Is this an original CD?  Can you post a picture of it?  I've never seen one myself.

krfkeith

Oh, thats cool.  Speaking of which, whoever bought that "Beta" CD off eBay needs to check and see if its NeXTSTEP 4.0 Beta!
Newton MessagePad 2100, Original MessagePad (OMP), 2 DataRover 840s
Gateway Laptop w/ OPENSTEP 4.2
NeXTstation Color & Turbo Color

it68000

NEXTstation Turbo Color with NEXTSTEP 3.3, OPENSTEP 4.2 emulated on Parallels for PC, NEXTCube Dimension (25Mhz)

pergamon

Thanks for the pic!

So yeah, 3.0 was the first *sold* on CD, I think that's the designation.  2.2 was apparently only available on CD for "backup purposes".

slomacuser

it68000

Yes  :lol:
I will post the booklet pictures soon too.

However I have only the CD while the boot floppy (mentioned in the booklet) is missing  :cry:

Is it possible to use an already running NEXTSTEP machine to build a boot floppy?

slomacuser

It would be probably possible to start it with NS 3 boot floppy