HELP! DNS while using DHCP

Started by ErikTheHack, October 19, 2007, 11:03:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ErikTheHack

Ok, I've installed and configured the DHCP package for OPENSTEP and for the most part things are working -- namely I'm getting my IP address dynamically assigned properly.

Now the problem:

It seems that the resolv.conf file is updated automagically by the DHCP script and it seems correct however domain names will still not resolve.

Anyone using this have any similar experience?  Also, if I made configuration errors in NetinfoManager.app how do I go about fixing them?  Anyone whos run through these config steps knows what I'm talking about.

TIA!
ND \'040 NeXTcube [SN: ABA0004306], NeXTStation Turbo Color ADB, HP PA-RISC 712/80, HP PA-RISC 712/100, Sun SPARCSTATION 5, Sun SPARCSTATION 20

Shuren

Check /etc/dhclient-script for resolv.conf. For NetInfoManager configuration errors I don't known, doesn't works to modify the entry?

PGHammer

Quote from: "Shuren"Check /etc/dhclient-script for resolv.conf. For NetInfoManager configuration errors I don't known, doesn't works to modify the entry?

If you're getting your addresses via DHCP, all you need is a single nameserver (which should be identical to your gateway IP/router IP).  Example: I have a DHCP setup (using DHCP and NS 3.3) parked behind a Linksys WRT54GS router (wired connection and via VMWare 6; however, this is actually irrelevant as it's configured to use NAT, which means it gets its own IP from the router using DHCP), so my gateway IP is the IP of the router (which also is the DHCP server).  In short, the router/DHCP server does the heavy lifting, not your (real or virtual) NS/OS box.