Display Postscript Source Code

Started by pergamon, February 13, 2008, 02:17:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pergamon

QuoteNeXT's operating system graphics system was built entirely around Display Postscript, a technology NeXT licensed from Adobe. A former NeXT developer told me the terms were such that the source code for Display Postscript never left Adobe's campus -- to work on the code, NeXT engineers had to go to Adobe and work in an isolated room with no outside network access. There are people at Apple who remember this arrangement vividly, and not fondly.

I hadn't heard this before (from http://daringfireball.net/2008/02/flash_iphone_calculus)

ericj

Quote from: "pergamon"
QuoteNeXT's operating system graphics system was built entirely around Display Postscript, a technology NeXT licensed from Adobe. A former NeXT developer told me the terms were such that the source code for Display Postscript never left Adobe's campus -- to work on the code, NeXT engineers had to go to Adobe and work in an isolated room with no outside network access. There are people at Apple who remember this arrangement vividly, and not fondly.

I hadn't heard this before (from http://daringfireball.net/2008/02/flash_iphone_calculus)

I knew that Adobe is overprotective of PostScript, but I didn't know it was that bad!

Eric

mdriftmeyer

NeXT didn't license Display Postscript from Adobe.

NeXT wrote the DPS with Adobe where a partnership was forged and started the beginnings of porting Adobe's applications to NeXTSTEP.

Adobe holding onto the code is bullshit. That code for the initial project may have been kept at Adobe but it most certainly was at NeXT Corporate and updated solely by NeXT after it's initial release.

cubist

Quote from: "mdriftmeyer"
NeXT wrote the DPS with Adobe where a partnership was forged and started the beginnings of porting Adobe's applications to NeXTSTEP.

Adobe holding onto the code is bullshit. That code for the initial project may have been kept at Adobe but it most certainly was at NeXT Corporate and updated solely by NeXT after it's initial release.

I'm interested in some more of the history of this.  In the 80's, it appeared that Adobe was a bit miffed at Sun for using PostScript as the basis for NeWS.  Their response was DPS.  This, at least, is the story as seen on the outside.

As for holding on to the code like the family jewels...  what you say may have been true for NeXT.  But I was on the DEC end of a DPS licensing deal and, man, they guarded those bits.