Yrrid's Cables.app. How many would buy it?

Started by kb7sqi, August 08, 2008, 04:24:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

How much would you be willing to pay for it?

$30-$50
2 (100%)
$50-$70
0 (0%)
$70-$90
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: August 08, 2008, 04:24:25 pm

kb7sqi

Hi all,
   I've been sending email's back & forth w/ the fine folks @ Yrrid who produced the package Cables.app back in the day for NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP.  If you don't know what Cables.app is, it's basically a full featured Telecommunications package that supports VT100/VT102 w/ addons for ANSI-PC/TN3270, etc. With X/Y/Z-ZModem, support, etc.  Back in the 90's it cost $100.  One of the biggest advantages to Cables.app is that it's also a complete replacement for Terminal.app/Stuart.app.  With the ANSI-PC option it gives you ANSI Color support much like Terminal.app on Mac OSX or one of the many options for Linux/Solaris, etc.  Making command line programs that support color come to life.  Like lynx/links, slrn, tin, micq, netris, etc.  I personally can't wait to be able to purchase this.  Currently they are trying to locate the last available version made.  So, I thought I'd ask how many people would be interested in purchasing this if they can locate it?  How much would you be willing to pay for it?  If this becomes available for purchase, you'd have to understand that there would never be any more code updates/bug fixes & technical support would be limited to email only.  Which isn't suprising since there isn't real market for our "NeXT" these days.  You can find more information about Cables @ //www.yrrid.com

helf

I'd *love* to be able to buy this. I'd pay $50 for it.
*INACTIVE*

kb7sqi

Update: The great folks at Yrrid Software have located the last release of Cables for NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP. 8)   I've purchased a copy for $59.  I have the software, but haven't had a chance to install it yet.  I'll be doing a complete review.  If you're a command line junky like me, I think you'll find this well worth the $$$ to add to your collection.   I'll post my initial findings here later after I get the software installed.  Take care.

kb7sqi

Ok, yesterday was a long work day.  I got home this morning sometime around 4:30 AM.  So, after working almost 24 hours, I couldn't resist & I installed Cables on one of my laptops. ;-)  I setup my new "Terminal" w/ ANSI-PC support, configured my keymapping because the the defaults on the arrow keys don't work correctly w/ bash, tcsh.  That only took a few seconds.  Then I set my background color to Black w/ a green font.  Pretty much like a default Terminal on more modern *nix boxes.  First thing I did was telnet to a bbs that I often connect to. My reaction?  It's awesome to see true color ANSI graphics on the terminal again! :-D  I quickly kicked off a download of a qwk package of new messages.  Zmodem kicked in automatically.  Works perfectly.  After that, I fired up pine & tin.  Checked my mail in Color & even read my newsgroups in color.  So, for a quick initial review,  I'll sum up my purchase of Cables as truly well worth the $59!  I'd have to say it's probably one of the best programs I've purchase for my NeXT systems.  I think most everyone here knows I spend 99% of my time working on the command line.  So having a terminal program that supports all the features I've grown used to on more modern versions of *nix is important to me.  Not just color/ansi support.  I've only touched a small part of what the program supports.  The program has emulation support for almost everything you can imagine.  Need to connect to a mainframe?  Cables will handle it.
Yrrid has great friendly customer service.  I finally decided to give them a call.  Martini, who I spoke with on the phone was very friendly and easy to talk to.  She requested that I cc'ed my email to her besides the normal "sales@yrrid.com."  I got response back the next morning letting me know they would do their best to try & locate the last version of Cables that worked on NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP.  Through out the week, I traded several email's w/ Martini, trying to keep me upto date on the progress of finding the program. If you search the past archives of the comp.sys.next.* newsgroups, you'll see that thru the years, Yrrid has continued to be praised on the software they've written for NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP, Rhapsody and even Mac OS X.  I was thrilled yesterday when I got the email letting me know they had located the software.  I really appreciated the fact that they went out of their way to try to locate software for me even though the platform is considered "dead."  So, now that they've found it, I'd highly recommend if you really need/want a great communications/emulation/terminal replacement for your NeXT system, that you head over to //www.yrrid.com and ask about purchasing a copy of Cables for NEXTSTEP.  Cables w/ every emulation option it comes w/ back in the day cost over $300.  The base package was $100 and then you could build upon that.  Being able to get the whole thing for $59 is a bargain.  My only regret is I waited this long to call them.  Cables will definately be adding to the time I spend sitting in front of a NeXT system over a linux system, sun box or even my Macs.  This was my initial review. :-)  I'll be doing a full review this week along w/ taking some screenshots.  Take care.

helf

sweet! :D I can't wait until I can spare the cash for it. Having color will be nice. I still use a BBS and being able to properly connect to it on my NeXT will be awesome.
*INACTIVE*

kb7sqi

Quote from: "helf"sweet! :D I can't wait until I can spare the cash for it. Having color will be nice. I still use a BBS and being able to properly connect to it on my NeXT will be awesome.

Hey Helf,
   I know.  I had a blast playing LORD today after I woke up. ;-)  It's been years.  :lol:  I tried several of the cli programs like netris, slrn, nethack, etc.  The color shows up perfectly.  I had to go back to work after that, but I'm hoping tomorrow is a quiet day so I can grab some screenshots.  I wish I still had access to IBM Mainframe.  I'd like to see how some of the other emulation modes work.  Back when I worked @ IBM, I had one my personal NeXT systems sitting on my desk.  When I needed a 3270 client, I always had to fire up X3270.  It works fine w/ CubX, but the keymapping was a pain.  So I would've loved to had Cables back then.  Take care.

kb7sqi

Just FYI.  I had a few minutes to take a few screenshots.  I threw them up in the screenshots folder.  Here's a link:

http://kb7sqi.com/files/screenshots/Cables/

Nothing major, but it gives you an idea how Cables compares to Terminal.app/Stuart.app for some command line stuff. :-)

Take care.

helf

Amazing to see color in the terminal :)

/me counts days till paycheck

btw, when did you port 0verkill?? I think I requested it awhile back. I don't see it in any of your file directories... I love that game :)
*INACTIVE*

kb7sqi

Quote from: "helf"Amazing to see color in the terminal :)

/me counts days till paycheck

btw, when did you port 0verkill?? I think I requested it awhile back. I don't see it in any of your file directories... I love that game :)

It's still on my todo list.  I haven't forgot about it.  The screenshot was from sdf. ;-)  I took the pic just for you.  :lol:  I knew you'd like to see how it looked compared to Terminal.app. Take care.

ErikTheHack

That's an awesome app -- takes me back to when I was doing a lot of dial-up.  I picked up a demo version at NeXTWORLD '93.

So, if one wanted to purchase a copy how would one go about doing that?  Have the contact info handy?
ND \'040 NeXTcube [SN: ABA0004306], NeXTStation Turbo Color ADB, HP PA-RISC 712/80, HP PA-RISC 712/100, Sun SPARCSTATION 5, Sun SPARCSTATION 20

kb7sqi

Quote from: "ErikTheHack"That's an awesome app -- takes me back to when I was doing a lot of dial-up.  I picked up a demo version at NeXTWORLD '93.

So, if one wanted to purchase a copy how would one go about doing that?  Have the contact info handy?

Sure, just email sales@yrrid.com & cc martini@yrrid.com.  Just let Martini know you're interested in the version for NEXTSTEP.  Might help if you mention me, Steve Blackford.  I picked it up for $59.  Martini is a pleasure to deal with.  Just FYI, I don't get anything from all this.  I was just happy being able to purchase the software after all these years and Cables is worth it as far as I'm concerned.  Take care.

NeXTsociety

Quote from: "kb7sqi"Just FYI.  I had a few minutes to take a few screenshots.  I threw them up in the screenshots folder.  Here's a link:

Nothing major, but it gives you an idea how Cables compares to Terminal.app/Stuart.app for some command line stuff. :-)

Take care.

Do you have your screen shots hosted someplace else now?  Would be nice to see them if you do.

tj

kb7sqi

Quote from: "NeXTsociety"
Quote from: "kb7sqi"Just FYI.  I had a few minutes to take a few screenshots.  I threw them up in the screenshots folder.  Here's a link:

Take care.

Do you have your screen shots hosted someplace else now?  Would be nice to see them if you do.

tj

I'll upload them soon & post a new link.  Cables.app is a awesome program for the NeXT & well worth the $$$ you can get it for now.  Take care.

Steve