Problems with NeXTStep 3.3 installation on Turbo Station

Started by thedoctor45, August 12, 2008, 12:03:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

thedoctor45

I recently aquired a copy of NeXTStep 3.3 and wanted to install it on my NeXT Station Turbo (33 Mhz 48 MB RAM).
I connected an external Sony CD-R SCSI drive with the Install-CD to the Station and inserted the boot disk into the floppy drive.

Then I go to the ROM monitor and type b fd to boot from the floppy drive.

The following text appears:
Type 1 to use the English language and USA keyboard while installing NEXTSTEP.

Tapez 2 pour installer NEXTSTEP avec un clavier et des messages francais.

Eingabe 3 fuer NEXTSTEP-Installation mit deutscher Sprache und Tastatur.

Premi 4 per installare NEXTSTEP usando lingua italiana e tastiera italiana.

Pulse 5 para usar el idioma y el teclado espanol en la instalacion de NEXTSTEP.

Skriv 6 for att anvanda svenska/svenskt tangentbord vid installation av NEXTSTEP.

I select 1 and proceed until the system reports the successful installation of NeXTStep onto the harddisk and asks me to press enter to reboot:

After rebooting the spinning disk icon appears and then the loading bar is displayed, but it gets stuck on "initializing system".

I realize that this happens because the CD drive with the CD is still connected to the machine.
so I disconnect it and reboot again, but this time the system defaults to the ROM monitor as soon as the loading screen pops up.

I get the following text:

I can login as root or as me via the login command but I have absolutely no idea how to fix this thing...

this is the first time I set up a NeXT computer so please be patient with me  :wink:
any help would be greatly appreciated -thanks in advance

helf

ew... That garbled text at the top of that screenshot is not supposed to be there... Have you tried reinstalling? It's been months since I did an install of NEXTSTEP.

If I'm not mistaken, after it does the initial install and reboots, it installs some more stuff off the CD. You may have stopped it in the middle of doing something important. How long did you let it sit there at the initializing system screen?

If you reinstall and then let it boot back up, you should be able to run it in diagnostics mode or whatever it is called and it'll show you the kernel boot messages instead of the pretty boot screens. Would let you know exactly where it is hanging at.

Now, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will step in :P

Welcome to the forums! :)
*INACTIVE*

thedoctor45

After rebooting I went away for about 10-15 minutes and when I came back the initializing system dialogue was still there - I will try to reinstall from the CD and wait some more.

How long is this supposed to take?

helf

I don't think more than that... It is definitely hanging on something... Work is calling, so I'll be gone for a bit. Do a search on the forums for the firmware options. one of them lets you see the system boot messages isntead of the boot screen. Enable that and reinstall and see where it is hanging at.
*INACTIVE*

thedoctor45

I forgot to mention that the CD was not inserted but only the empty drive was connected while rebooting - so it did't boot because the CD was missing - however once I reinsert the CD the installation dialogue with the 6 language options appears again (so he boots from the CD if it is inserted and not from the HD)

I tried to force-boot from HD by typing bsd(0,0,0) into the ROM monitor but it will still boot from the CD.

After disconnecting the SCSI CD-ROM drive again and rebooting I get the following:

I do fsck but it doesn't help.
I'm stuck - what am I doing wrong?

cuby

From the screenshot it seems like the root fs is on /dev/sd0a, but the system tries to mount /dev/sd1a as root file system.

Check /etc/fstab (cat /etc/fstab), if it reads

/dev/sd1a   /    ffs

or similar, replace the sd1a with sd0a. However, I'm not sure which tools are available in single user mode (don't have my NeXTs here in the office).

You should be able to mount root read/write:

mount -rw /dev/sd0a /

and then use vi or sed to change fstab.

Oh, one more idea - which SCSI ID did you set the CD-ROM to? Your problem might be that the CD-ROM had a lower SCSI ID than the HD while installing.

HTH, Michael

thedoctor45

/NEXTSTEP_INSTALL (the CD) is on sd0a and / (root FS) is on sd1a.

so the root file system is on /dev/sd1a.
what to do now - change it?

pitz

Quote from: "thedoctor45"
I tried to force-boot from HD by typing bsd(0,0,0) into the ROM monitor but it will still boot from the CD.

I can't tell from the screenshots what SCSI ID you have the CD-ROM on.  Your hard disk looks like it's on SCSI ID 1.  It could be that your CD-ROM is on SCSI ID 0?  So bsd(0,0,0) will boot from the lowest SCSI ID which is still your CD-ROM.  bsd(1,0,0) -- or was it bsd(0,1,0) -- will boot from the next higher SCSI ID.  On my installs, I usually set the CD-ROM SCSI ID higher than the hard disk SCSI ID.

Still, that garbled message on the first screenshot is not normal.  I agree with helf that in the first reboot, some more files are needed from the CD to finish the installation.

thedoctor45

if I type bsd(1,0,0) or bsd(0,1,0) I get a no SCSI disk error.

how do I assign SCSI ID's ?

pitz

Quote from: "thedoctor45"if I type bsd(1,0,0) or bsd(0,1,0) I get a no SCSI disk error.

how do I assign SCSI ID's ?

bsd(1,0,0) boots from the next higher SCSI ID device if there is one (that is, both your hard disk and CD-ROM are connected).  If only your hard disk is connected, it will not find that second device.

The SCSI ID is usually configured through jumper settings in your device (CD-ROM or hard disk).

helf

Quote from: "pitz"
The SCSI ID is usually configured through jumper settings in your device (CD-ROM or hard disk).

A lot of times, on external scsi devices, it is a push button counter with numbers in a little window. Just push it until it hits the desired ID number (like 3 or 4)
*INACTIVE*