Pre-2.2 backup?

Started by etherknot, March 25, 2008, 05:55:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

etherknot

Hi,

Just a curious thought; but has anyone bothered to tarball an OD of any pre-2.2 systems?

gtnicol

FWIW. I just tested a dump of 2.1 on OS X leopard (restore -rf ../NeXT_2.1.dump.old) and apart from the special devices, it all extracted OK. Quite impressive IMHO.

cchaven

Back in 2001 I started trying to archive the various OD versions of NeXTstep I had.  I have 8-9 original NeXT OD disks.  Some of them sold as blank disks, the others original distributions.  

I managed to get the OD in my '040 Cube working and then hooked a Pinnacle Sierra 1.3GB OD to it externally.  I then DD'd the disk from the NeXT OD to the Pinnacle OD, which used 3M 1.2GB 512 sector disks.  I then changed the FSTAB on the disks to reflect sd0a vice od0a.  If I reecall, at least some of them booted properly, though I think there were problems with the earliest versions meant only for the '030 Cube.  I also copied  a NeXT archive disk (not an original distro) that was in the pile.  I still have all the disks and the drive, though haven't used them in years.

The disks I archived like this include:

NeXTstep 0.9 (from original OD distro)
NeXTstep 1.0 (from original OD distro)
NeXTstep 1.0a (from original OD distro)
NeXTstep 2.0 (from original OD distro)
NeXTstep 2.1 (from original OD distro)
NeXTstep 3.0 (from a previoius backup)
NeXT Cube, \'040/25, MO, 2.88 floppy, 1GB HD, NeXTDimension with 32MB, NS 3.3, N4001 17" Megapixel monitor, N4000A mono monitor, NeXT N3010 CD-ROM

cchaven

Actually, I made a mistake in that previous post. I found some notes and emails regarding that project, and I didn't use DD to make the disks.  I used dump piped thru restore for it, though today if I was to hook the Pinnacle up to OS X, I could use DD to image the optical disks.  Also I found mention of the issues I was having with the earlist versions...they wouldn't boot from the backup..but drop to the NeXT> prompt.  Still, even with what could be boot block issues, the filse and such should be intact.
NeXT Cube, \'040/25, MO, 2.88 floppy, 1GB HD, NeXTDimension with 32MB, NS 3.3, N4001 17" Megapixel monitor, N4000A mono monitor, NeXT N3010 CD-ROM