October 17, 2019, 06:13:03 pm

iPod on a hardline

Started by dravier, September 02, 2008, 05:56:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dravier

Okay, been looking for some kind of hack for my iPod Touch that would allow me to jump on a network hardline.  I figured somewhere out there someone has hacked together a 10BaseT adapter and some basic software to allow you to aquire a network connection this way.  Would be nice while on campus or at the office or any place that either lacks wifi but has easy access to hardline network.  

Anyone know of anything like this?  Thanks for any help.
dravier

Turbo Color slab NS 3.3

"a little rebellion now and then is a good thing"
- Thomas Jefferson

helf

I didnt think apple allowed that low level of programming on the iPhone/Touch...?
*INACTIVE*

happyjam64

dravier, i need to know where you found out about that! That would be a great device for my iphone. I wouldn't doubt this though, look what this guy is doing http://iphone-gps.blogspot.com/ he's making this for the people like me that don't want to upgrade to 3G.
"You can\'t fight in here! This is the war room!"

dravier

Unfortunately I have not found anything of this nature, despite looking for one for the better part of two weeks (a fair amount of Googling while at work, I must say).  Would be nice... maybe I'll shoot that guy an email for any thoughts or possibilities.  

Anyone out know of an ethernet hardline adapter for an iPod Touch / iPhone?  Still hoping it's out there...
dravier

Turbo Color slab NS 3.3

- Thomas Jefferson

dravier

A promising response from iPhone-GPS blog / http://www.orangegadgets.com/.  Here it is:
QuoteRegarding hooking up a hardline, it could be done either through the serial port or the USB port of the phone. The hardest thing to do would probably be to redirect from where the phone gets its internet access, that is redirect from WiFi/Edge to serialport/USB.

I will add the idea it to the list of proposed gadgets.

PmgR

Never know... could be promising.  Thanks for the lead.
dravier

Turbo Color slab NS 3.3

- Thomas Jefferson

MahRain

Your best bet is going to be an Airport Express set to Access Point mode, with the added bonus of keeping mobility with your iPhone.