WatchSwap 1.6 - Per Request by Andreas

Started by helf, September 30, 2009, 02:10:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

helf

I don't remember where I found this app, my original NeXT may have had it installed on it when I got it, actually. Not sure.

This is version 1.6, dated 1/30/95 and written by Doug Harris.
Very simple app, you launch it, set a few settings and minimize it and it's icon shows you how much swap you are using. I keep it in my dock below my CPU/Memory meter and my Network usage meters and have all three auto starting at login. You can see them in my screenshots.

Download it HERE

I just did a compress action via workspace managed. Just download it to your NeXT, double click on it and tell inspector to "decompress".

I can upload the CPU and network meters if desired.

They are:

KPerfMon 1.3c by Kenny Leung & Garance Alistair Drosehn
NXNetWatch - Unknown Version, by Frank M. Siegert

KPerfMon can show network usage too, but I like having it flipping between just CPU and Memory and NXNetWatch showing just network traffic. KPerfMon will also show HDD activity. That has actually come in really handy before when I was having weird issues with my NeXT.
*INACTIVE*

NeXTnewbe

Thanks.

I will like to have the three apps please

thanks

Andreas

Quote from: "helf"I don't remember where I found this app, my original NeXT may have had it installed on it when I got it, actually. Not sure.

This is version 1.6, dated 1/30/95 and written by Doug Harris.
Very simple app, you launch it, set a few settings and minimize it and it's icon shows you how much swap you are using. I keep it in my dock below my CPU/Memory meter and my Network usage meters and have all three auto starting at login. You can see them in my screenshots.

Download it HERE

Oh thanx!

Noth

Quote from: "NeXTnewbe"Thanks.

I will like to have the three apps please

thanks

A quick google search of the last two names provides the download links.
NeXT Cube 040 (NeXTSTEP 3.3), SUN SparcStation5 (NeXTSTEP 3.3), SGI Indigo2 R10000 (IRIX 6.5.22), SGI VSW320 (Windows 2000/Slakware 9.1)

NeXTnewbe

helf

*INACTIVE*

Noth

NeXT Cube 040 (NeXTSTEP 3.3), SUN SparcStation5 (NeXTSTEP 3.3), SGI Indigo2 R10000 (IRIX 6.5.22), SGI VSW320 (Windows 2000/Slakware 9.1)

helf

ooo. v1.7, i need to see what the update brings.
*INACTIVE*

Noth

WatchSwap 1.7 apparently plays a sound when the swapfile increases size. KPerfMon has colour options in 1.3C, nice for those with Colour Stations or Dimension Cubes.

BTW, KPerfMon 1.3C comes as a source package, so you just need to unpack, open a root terminal, cd into the source directory, type make && make install and it does it all for you. Except it copies to /Apps, which I didn't like so moved it to /LocalApps.

Oh, and I've completely forgotten how to autolaunch an App on login, know how for WindowMaker but this eludes me on NeXTStep

cubist

Quote from: "helf"I don't remember where I found this app, my original NeXT may have had it installed on it when I got it, actually. Not sure.

These were very useful apps when running black hardware 24x7.  There's a memory leak in the dock clock that slowly, slowly grows swap.  Might have been fixed with the y2k patches, I'm not certain, but it was a problem in the past.

helf

I need to pay attention to that. My swap almost never changes size unless I'm running a ton of apps at once and actually use up my memory. I have the latest OS patches installed, they may have fix the issue.
*INACTIVE*