Hosting for OPENSTEP 4.2 boot disk for Black m86k hardware

Started by ash, April 09, 2006, 07:12:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ash

First, I'd like to thank Brams, because he helped me out a good bit with various things leading up to my turbo slab finally running.

The last key thing he helped me out with was the m86k boot disk for OPENSTEP 4.2, which Apple doesn't have on their site, and it isn't just lying around on the internet.  He copied it off of an original disk he had.  Is there anywhere we could get it hosted out in the open so that people won't have as tough a time getting it to run as I did?   :)

Some place like this would be good
http://www.shawcomputing.net/resources/next/hardware/boot_floppies/boot_floppies.html

RacerX

Quote from: "ash"Some place like this would be good
http://www.shawcomputing.net/resources/next/hardware/boot_floppies/boot_floppies.html
I'd be happy to update that page with any additional disk images.

I know that a couple of my original floppies have since died, which is why I decided to put that page up to begin with (figuring other people may have had the same problem). I'll go back and give all of them another shot at making images of them. If I'm successful with ones that are missing, I'll add them.

I wish NeXT had done what Apple did (for Rhapsody for Intel)... put the disk images right on the installation CD.

ash

Quote from: "RacerX"I wish NeXT had done what Apple did (for Rhapsody for Intel)... put the disk images right on the installation CD.

Well that would be good, if anything other than NS/OS read the CDs.  :-)  I tried to load them in OS X, Windows, and Linux and I couldn't get them to read.  Is there a trick I don't know about?

RacerX

Quote from: "ash"Well that would be good, if anything other than NS/OS read the CDs.  :-)  I tried to load them in OS X, Windows, and Linux and I couldn't get them to read.  Is there a trick I don't know about?

I actually use Rhapsody (5.1-5.6) or OPENSTEP to read the install CDs.

As I spend a lot of time on my 8600 (my main Rhapsody system) I when looking for the images on some of the CDs. And I'll make another attempt at imaging the floppies using that system (as it has a floppy drive) or my ThinkPad running OPENSTEP (which also has a floppy drive).

RacerX

brams

Quote from: "ash"First, I'd like to thank Brams, because he helped me out a good bit with various things leading up to my turbo slab finally running.

No problem, glad I helped in saving an old NeXT computer get back into a running state.  It gave me chance to play with the 840av as well which I used to rip the boot floppy.  I'd never actually realised Apple didn't host the M68K boot disk, they have the one for 3.3 but not 4.2, they probably don't know it's missing, but I guess they don't care anyway.
NeXTcube Turbo Dimension, NeXTstation Turbo Color, MP2100, Q840av, Q650, WS G4 500, Pismo G4 550, SGI Octane R12K MXE, BeBox 133.

brams

I found this whilst trawling comp.sys.next, it seems to explain why Apple don't host an OPENSTEP 4.2 M68K boot floppy, it says the 3.3 one is the same:

Date:      Fri, Jun 27 1997 12:00 am
Email:       mpa...@moviola.next.com (Mike Paquette)
Groups:        comp.sys.next.misc

In article <5ovlke$33...@news.digifix.com> sangu...@digifix.com| Reply to Author | Forward | (Scott  Anguish) writes:
>    Actually, the 4.2 boot floppies are _not_ on NextAnswers right
> now.

>    I thought someone (Mike Paquette??) had said that he'd get
> them on there......  

The boot floppy image needed to boot Prelude to Rhapsody (AKA 4.2) on  
Black hardware is in NeXTAnswers 2071.  (It's the 3.3 image, but nothing  
has changed.)

http://www.next.com/NeXTanswers/HTMLFiles/2071.htmld/2071.html

The 4.2 boot floppy images for Intel don't appear to be on line right now.
--
       Mike Paquette

Well, if there *were* anything to say, it would be with the understanding
that the PR/Marketing people want to make the announcements on products,
so anything I have to say wouldn't actually exist until after then, so  
what
NeXTcube Turbo Dimension, NeXTstation Turbo Color, MP2100, Q840av, Q650, WS G4 500, Pismo G4 550, SGI Octane R12K MXE, BeBox 133.

RacerX

Quote from: "brams"I found this whilst trawling comp.sys.next, it seems to explain why Apple don't host an OPENSTEP 4.2 M68K boot floppy, it says the 3.3 one is the same

Wow, that is interesting to note. I guess it is not surprising, but not completely intuitive.

In the NeXTanswers I have, 2071 is just the 3.3 floppy image with no article.

I guess adding both a note to the floppies page on my site and adding an RTF note to the NeXTanswers I have for download about this would be a good idea.

ash

Now, I guessed this, because the 3.3 disks would allow me to install 4.2.  However I diffed them (as images), and they seemed quite different.  I suppose if I mounted them they might show up as the same.  Slab is out of commission for a bit while I move, though.

brams

Yeah, I trawled Google Groups comp.sys.next.* with the search string mike paquette and just started reading stuff, him and Randy Rencsock seem to have been a couple of interesting fellows, Mike as most people know worked at NeXT/Apple, on I think DPS, NEXTTIME & Quartz and probably a lot more.  It does make very interesting reading.

Shame somebody couldn't interview Mike & Podcast it  or somthing, I'd love to myself but I'm in the UK :-(

He does mention the NRW in M88K and dual PPC 601 guises quite a few times.

One thing I learned which I never knew, NeXT did a lot of work on NeXTstep pre releases (the very old ones like 0.1 etc) on Sun M68K workstations because NeXT M68K hardware wasn't ready.  I got up to page 20 last night gonna continue tonight

Prelude to Rhapsody, came before OS 4.2 right?, is it (from a technical standpoint) exacactly the same as OS 4.2 or is it a Beta, how many PR to Rhapsody's where there?, and was it Sparc, i386 and NeXT?

RacerX

My understanding was that Apple released both OS 4.1 and 4.2 as Prelude to Rhapsody and that the kits included only NeXT and Intel hardware versions (which were on the same media anyways). They also included the developer tools and EOF. Apple may have only included the floppies for the Intel release though.

Plus, I'm not sure there was an actual release date for Prelude to Rhapsody, it was something they were trying to get into the hands of developers over an extended period.

Of course I wasn't paying that much attention to Apple/NeXT events at that time... I was an assistant coach of a college track team in the spring of 1997 (and computers weren't high on my priority list then).

brams

Yeah from what I can tell, PR to Rhapsody was given away at some kind of event WWDC?, then after that I think you could register and get it sent to you.

Back in 1997, wow, I think that's when I upgraded my Performa 5200/75 (my first Mac as I was orphaned from Acorn) to a 7300/166, I knew what NeXT was then, in fact I remember NeXT from a long long time ago, IIRC the first mention I ever saw of a NeXT Computer was in Byte in 1988 or something.