Creating a Floppy Disk Image

Started by vogtstev, February 24, 2009, 10:56:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

vogtstev

Greetings!!  I recently purchased a NeXTStation that came with a cd, manuals, etc, but I am lacking a bootdisk.  I downloaded the .floppydisk files off Apple's website.
I am a Mac OS X user typically and tried using dd to create the floppy.  I used this command:
dd if=/Users/myusername/bootdisk of=/dev/disk2

When i put the disk in the NeXTstation I get a message "Bad disk label magic number"  

I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong in the disk creation process.  If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them!!

PS - The reason I'm not making the disks on the NeXT box is I don't know the password and have failed at password resets.

Have a great day!
Steve

Andreas

Quote from: "vogtstev"
When i put the disk in the NeXTstation I get a message "Bad disk label magic number"  

after typing in the "bfd" (boot from disk) command? Otherwise it tryes to boot from had, wich bring the bad magic thing if not formatted for next

vogtstev

Ah, my newness is showing.  so would I hold down command ~ then type that in?  
My goal is to use reinstall the OS so I'm guessing I would use the boot disk with a connected cd-rom.  I managed to find an apple 300 so I believe that will work.  
Thank you for the clarification.

Steve

vogtstev

Ok, so i typed bfd at the prompt and this time I get a new message:
Bad version 0xb80000fa
Bad cksum
Bad label

Any ideas?

Andreas

Quote from: "vogtstev"Ok, so i typed bfd at the prompt and this time I get a new message:
Bad version 0xb80000fa
Bad cksum
Bad label

Any ideas?

Do you have an Intel Mac? If so, than start your bootcamp and use:
(wich definitly work OK)

http://www.chrysocome.net/rawwrite

Empathy

Are your sure the floppy is /dev/disk2? What about /dev/fd/0? What floppy do you have anyway? Does your Mac have a floppy or do you use an USB floppy?

Better put a floppy in it and check with mount( 8 ) what device it uses?

vogtstev

Ok, I just had a duh moment.  I realized I was using the  non moto disk image off the apple site.  I changed to that one and I'm good to go at least as far as the booting off the floppy.

Now the computer boots off the floppy and looks for cd-rom drives.  I have tried to external scsi drives:  Apple 600e and yamaha cd/cdrw.  With both I get an error on the computer "No CD-ROM drives connected to this computer"  I wondering if it's physically not seeing the drive or if it's a problem with disk.  Is there a way I can closer inspect this?  
The SCSI ID on the cd-rom drive is 6.  

Should I start a new thread for this?

Thanks for all the great help!
Steve

Andreas

Quote from: "vogtstev"Ok, I just had a duh moment.  I realized I was using the  non moto disk image off the apple site.  I changed to that one and I'm good to go at least as far as the booting off the floppy.

Nice to hear, step one resolved :-)

Now the computer boots off the floppy and looks for cd-rom drives.  I have tried to external scsi drives:  Apple 600e and yamaha cd/cdrw.

Both have to run. Are you shure, that the ID of your cd-rom's aren't the same than your harddrive?
(hint: internal hd should be "1", so you can straight boot from every external drive if its "0")
Do you have terminated the drives proper?