Daydream video - quality magickally improved

Started by helf, March 25, 2009, 03:54:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

helf

Here is a video of my NeXT booting my Daydream up. I thought some of you that hadn't seen one in action might be interested. Youtube had butchered the video quality, but I guess it was still processing. Make sure you click on the "HQ" button for full effect :)

No making fun of my slurred speech ;P I was apparently more tired than I thought.

Whenever I get an LCD working, I'll do a proper video showing it actually in use. The cam I was using hates CRTs with a passion and I can't adjust anything on it to make it look better :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AxJR9Xn448

btw, I timed my NeXT from cold boot to loaded Mac System 7.1 desktop - 38 seconds. Not bad :D
*INACTIVE*

pentium

How is impressario for you?  :wink:
I really wish I could finish the Daydream box project so I could try this myself but it sure is neat.

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram

helf

Haven't tried that yet ;)

Whenever I can finish my SSD conversion, I'll start loading it up with Mac apps and such, finally. I can't seem to find anyone with the know-how on dumping the contents of that GAL :/
*INACTIVE*

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Hello NeXT Community: Cool to see Daydream running again ! I have a Daydream box and system 7.5.3 Mac OS but can't locate the Daydream Floppy disks does anyone know if they were on any of the archive cd disks like Peanuts also trying to help out a customer in the same boat! We would pay shipping, floppy costs and for a little help , if anyone would be able to make a set for us or point us in the right direction , may be ftp! I think there were 3 floppies and I may have sold my last set with 1 of the 2 daydream boxes i have, appreciate your time

Best regards Rob Blessin

Quote from: "helf"Here is a video of my NeXT booting my Daydream up. I thought some of you that hadn't seen one in action might be interested. Youtube had butchered the video quality, but I guess it was still processing. Make sure you click on the "HQ" button for full effect :)

No making fun of my slurred speech ;P I was apparently more tired than I thought.

Whenever I get an LCD working, I'll do a proper video showing it actually in use. The cam I was using hates CRTs with a passion and I can't adjust anything on it to make it look better :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AxJR9Xn448

btw, I timed my NeXT from cold boot to loaded Mac System 7.1 desktop - 38 seconds. Not bad :D
Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  sales@blackholeinc.com http://www.blackholeinc.com
303-741-9998 Serving the NeXT Community  since 2/9/93

pentium

I think we have images of the floppies here on the NeXT file archive but if all else fails, helf and I should still have images someplace.

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram

Nitro

Quote from: "pentium"I think we have images of the floppies here on the NeXT file archive but if all else fails, helf and I should still have images someplace.

I had forgotten that we had the floppy images here, thanks for the reminder.

http://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Docs/Hardware/Daydream/
Nitro

papa_november

It SHOULD be possible to hack the Daydream software to just load the ROM from disk, rather than that stupid box. The box is basically a glorified dongle, it doesn't have enough logic to do anything more complex than provide a legal method of reading the ROMs.

How compatible is it anyway? Do any games even work?

NeXTsociety

Quote from: "papa_november"It SHOULD be possible to hack the Daydream software to just load the ROM from disk, rather than that stupid box. The box is basically a glorified dongle, it doesn't have enough logic to do anything more complex than provide a legal method of reading the ROMs.

How compatible is it anyway? Do any games even work?

I am getting one soon.  Will be fun to see what it can do.

The one real big bummer I have about it is NO sound.   :cry:

Not sure why they could not have stock sounds but maybe if the product lived on longer sound would have been added.

tj