Mosaic (web browser) for NextStep ?!

Started by slynce, April 28, 2009, 04:55:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

slynce

Hi everybody,
just read an article about Mosaic and noticed Mosaic 2.0 that used to be ported in NextStep as a web browser. Then I came over NCSA archive and here
ftp://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Web/Mosaic/Contrib/
saw two files with word "Next" in their names -
Mosaic-2.0-NeXT.Z
Mosaic-2.4-NeXT3.2-CoXist3.0.gz

Downloaded them to my NextStep 3.3 VM , un-tared them, but nothing happened (they turned out to be just some files without any extension and only the Editor can open them as text documents).
Any ideas, suggestions and hints on the issue - WELCOME ;)

armus2112

maybe it's an executable?  I downloaded it and 'gunzip'ed it and tried to execute it on my OpenStep 4.2 Intel machine and get error

"Bad CPU type in executable."

nextchef

Quote from: "armus2112"maybe it's an executable?  I downloaded it and 'gunzip'ed it and tried to execute it on my OpenStep 4.2 Intel machine and get error

"Bad CPU type in executable."

It is probably not compiled for multiple cpu types, so will only run on "black" hardware.

Noth

and by the look of things, needs some form of an Xserver. CoXist I suppose from filenames... if you make the files executable after uncompressing, then execute, they complain about not finding a display... tried running CubXWindow but that doesn't seem to work (only have the Demo version, no full license).

And if all this needs X, it's not proper NeXT software as far as I'm concerned. Omniweb 2 it is...
NeXT Cube 040 (NeXTSTEP 3.3), SUN SparcStation5 (NeXTSTEP 3.3), SGI Indigo2 R10000 (IRIX 6.5.22), SGI VSW320 (Windows 2000/Slakware 9.1)

slynce

Thanks for your efforts so far and hope for other opinions and sharings!
(it seems to turn out a good discussion ;)
The other question still remains untouch - :arrow:  
:idea: Has there ever been a Mosaic distribution for NextStep or not :?:  
:idea: And if there was one - why no traces in the NextStep/OpenStep archives :?:

Noth

So I've installed CoXist on my 040 Cube, and run the UserInstaller and now from the xterm (not the Terminal.app) I can launch Mosaic, each one of the three versions out there. Can't test it further though, because my squid transparent proxy is barfing on the http1.0 requests I think. At least they do work, in a Xwindowish way. Definitely not my thing for this platform.
NeXT Cube 040 (NeXTSTEP 3.3), SUN SparcStation5 (NeXTSTEP 3.3), SGI Indigo2 R10000 (IRIX 6.5.22), SGI VSW320 (Windows 2000/Slakware 9.1)

RacerX

Quote from: "slynce":idea: Has there ever been a Mosaic distribution for NextStep or not :?:    

I don't believe so.

Mosaic was a project to bring something that was developed on the NeXT platform to other Unix platforms and the Mac (and eventually Windows). I doubt that NeXT was a high priority as it originally had WorldWideWeb.app (the original browser/composer application for HTML/HTTP).

There were a number of early browsers that picked up where WWW left off.

Were you looking for something special that only Mosaic could provide?

slynce

QuoteWere you looking for something special that only Mosaic could provide?

Hi there RacerX,
glad you joined the discussion ;)
To the question above - No, I wasn't looking for anything special. As I mentioned above, recently came across a text in the web (can't remember where  :(  ) which lists the platforms Mosaic was distributed for and there was NextStep mentioned (with Mosaic 2.0) among Mac, Unix and Windows and it sounded interesting, because in all the lists of web browsers for NextStep I have seen (WWW.app,Nexus,  Spider woman, OmniWeb, Netsurfer) there was no trace of any Mosaic distributions.
(by the way do you know of any other web browsers, beside the five mentioned above which run on NextStep ?
To explain my question - I'm teaching this at a Pre-high school this month and that's why I'm installing the browsers on my VMware NextStep - to show the kids the full glory of the early Internet ages ;)

RacerX

Quote from: "slynce"(by the way do you know of any other web browsers, beside the five mentioned above which run on NextStep ?

Those are pretty much all I've heard of (other than some personal builds by people using elements from WWW). And of those I've only tried out SpiderWoman and OmniWeb (version 1.0 to 2.x).

QuoteTo explain my question - I'm teaching this at a Pre-high school this month and that's why I'm installing the browsers on my VMware NextStep - to show the kids the full glory of the early Internet ages ;)

One thing you can do is take them to some of the oldest sites on the web... one such site is the Geometry Center website which hasn't been modified in any real way since about 1997. Or you could hunt down some old sites at archive.org.

slynce

Hi there,
Need some assistance here:
QuoteSo I've installed CoXist on my 040 Cube, and run the UserInstaller and now from the xterm (not the Terminal.app) I can launch Mosaic, each one of the three versions out there. Can't test it further though, because my squid transparent proxy is barfing on the http1.0 requests I think. At least they do work, in a Xwindowish way.

I know nothing of X-windowing and have never used CoXist.
However I installed it on my OpenStep 4.2 VMware and there are these 3 apps - Co-xistLinker.app, co-Xist.app and UserInstaller.app. I untar-ed Mosaic archives <Mosaic-2.0-NeXT.Z
Mosaic-2.4-NeXT3.2-CoXist3.0.gz>,
moreover the admins have added them to the forums archive here:
http://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Software/NEXTSTEP/Apps/Internet/WWW/Web%20Browsers/Mosaic/
so they can be downloaded for good (thumbs up and thanks guys ;) )
:roll:  What next - I don't know how to use the files, nor how to install them with UserInstaller.app, or how to run them in X-windows.  :roll:
I  tried to search-in-the-help-files or to google the issue, but no comprehensive explanation and no trace of Co-Xist in google, so here is where the assistance is needed!
(in few easy steps - if possible)  :oops:
All advice welcome ;)

Noth

Ok then, here are the steps to follow to get Mosaic running in OpenStep / NeXTStep :

1. install CoXist as root, then run CoXist-linker.app
2. log into your session, and run UserInstaller.app
3. Launch CoXist (it should load a couple of xterm windows)
4. chmod +x /path/to/Mosaic
5. run it this: /path/to/Mosaic in xterm (*not* Terminal.app!)

and then it should basically work.

armus2112

We would love a screen snapshot of Mosiac running if you can get it all working :) :)  thx

armus2112

Noth

Wish fulfilled:

Enjoy!

By the way, this is ancient UNIX software, and boy does it show. Just entering an url is a pain in the neck if you misstype, since you have to clear the whole string, no delete possible. It won't load your average site, it needs something served as http1.0 and plain html.