Archive of NeXT Software

Started by jvernet, October 21, 2009, 06:15:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Shuren

aragon

Really great stuff! I've been looking for Mathematica and Sybase for quite a while now. Now I will have to take some time and try to get them running again.

Thanks a lot!

Oh, BTW I'm still looking for the Blue Moon Rendering Tools (BMRT) package.

Is it part of one of the other archives you posted?

NeXTnewbe

Hi

I'm trying to unpack the "disk Image" image, but I haven't find ot how to do it, is there any tool to restore this to a CD under linux amd then installed in my Black HW

Thanks

aragon

I did not succeed to install Mathematica so far.
Two things look suspicious: the length of the .diskimage files is 46 bytes too big, and the file Mathematica.tar contains 10kb of null bytes  :shock:

Either this is from the corrupt part of the source DVD, or this file is just not needed for installation?

Anyhow, I tried stripping the first 46 bytes form the diskimage files, but that did not help. Is there any chance to get hold of the "Disk Copy II" program? Google was not really helpful on this :-(

NeXTnewbe

I'm in the same dilemma, I ned the Disk copy II to try Mathematia and the other software

aragon

Seems that 2.88 mb floppies do not work properly in a virtualized installation (at least with vmware).

So the only solution would be to find someone with working hardware drives to write the images to floppy and then copy the contents to a tar archive.

Come on, there must be someone out there with a Mathematica installer package... 8)

NeXTnewbe

Quote from: "aragon"Seems that 2.88 mb floppies do not work properly in a virtualized installation (at least with vmware).

So the only solution would be to find someone with working hardware drives to write the images to floppy and then copy the contents to a tar archive.

Come on, there must be someone out there with a Mathematica installer package... 8)

I got the Black HW, but not the floppy disks and the Copy Disk II,

bkmoore

I think the floppy images might have been made with DiskMaker.app by SmartSoft.  I found a demo copy on the NOVA CDROM, but the demo only allows you to write out a demo floppy image.  But its all academic for me because I don't have any 2.88 floppies and probably never will.

Brian

PS:  I would be willing to purchase a legal (original) copy of Mathematica for NeXT from someone if they would be willing to part with it and the disks still work.

iDork

I believe Black Hole, Inc. still sells Mathematica for NeXTSTEP. I contacted them, but I didn't get any replies after my second e-mail. They should have ver. 3 at least (I think there was some problem with ver. 4 - bad media or something).
NS TurboColor,  SparcStation 5, Ultra 10, Octane SSI, HP 9000 C110, AlphaStation 200, Apple IIgs|IIe|IIc, Amiga 500+|600|1200, Commodore 64|128

jvernet

I didn't remember exactly how I did these image. It's with an NextStep app. I will try to power up my NSLab to find what I used. It's, sure, an NextStep app.
--
Apple & NeXT

jvernet

Quote from: "aragon"Seems that 2.88 mb floppies do not work properly in a virtualized installation (at least with vmware).

I have (I made these disks, not orignals, but made from Disk Images, made with a NextStep tool).
--
Apple & NeXT

aragon

This sounds great! Could you copy the disks contents to a tar archive and upload the archive, please?

jvernet

The tools used to make disk image is DiskCopy II v0.9 beta, from Urs Gubser.

I'm curently rebuilding the real disk from images, I will try to make a .tar of them.
--
Apple & NeXT

aragon

Hi jvernet,

thanks! That's great!

BTW: would you mind uploading the DiskImage tool as well? It seems to be hidden in the depths of the internet beyond Google's reach  :wink:

jvernet

Link will be posted in MP.
Disk (2 disks) contain only one Mathematica.pkg.

I think that, to install, you will need to put them on a Volume, labelled Mathematica_Disk_.1 and Mathematica_Disk_.2

Link to Disk Copy II:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U8K1DCH1
But it can be downloaded on next-ftp.peak.org

If some have disk to save (and to share ;) ) that's the right time !
--
Apple & NeXT