Loading OpenStep

Started by napierzaza, February 08, 2010, 12:14:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

napierzaza

Hey everyone,

I recently got my hands on a NextStation server, unfortunately, it's trying to netboot all the time so I suppose doesn't have any OS. (Not to mention having to buy an s-video cable for the keyboard and having to try and get all the dust off it).

So, I have the following for the machine. OpenStep 4.2 floppy for drivers, boot and an install CD. How do I get the OS onto the harddrive? I suppose I'll be able to use the floppies to boot, but could there bet a network related solution by sharing a disk from a PC or mac where I could install it remotely?

PS I know it's likely 10mb ethernet.

cubist

Quote from: "napierzaza"unfortunately, it's trying to netboot all the time so I suppose doesn't have any OS.

Not necessarily.  It may be configured in the monitor to boot from the network or defaulted there after the 'CMOS' battery died.  Get into the monitor at power up and manually try to boot from disk.

napierzaza

What do you mean "get into the monitor"? Is that like a BIOS? How do I enter it?

applemike

If it's the same as the Cube, Power on the box. After the "Checking System" message goes away, hold down the bottom-leftmost key (forgot the name...where the Alt is?) and the backquote. The screen will show a terminal-like interface. You are now in the monitor.