September 15, 2019, 08:30:32 pm

Photoshop?

Started by pentium, January 01, 2010, 01:41:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pentium

I was having troubles installing Adobe Photoshop 3.0.1 on Irix (it suddenly starts giving "file not found" for something in photoshop.tar and then nukes when it can't read from photoshop.tar) so I was going through the installation script and noticed that it mentioned NeXTSTEP and NeXT 68K hardware specifically. I currently don't have the cube out to confirm weather or not I can pop in the disc, type in ./Installpho2.csh and it will install away but is this true? I know Illustrator and FrameMaker was available for NeXTSTEP but I never knew about Photoshop.

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram

jaallen

I think, all you are seeing, is Adobe Installer internal scripting.

They probably used one branch of code for all of the installer programs, and at the time, Illustrator was available for NeXT.

pentium

Since I'm planning a fresh install of 3.3 soon I tried it anyways and:
1 - The Illustrator installer kills itself because it can't determine what OS you are using.
2 - The Photoshop installer starts up, tells you that you are running NeXTSTEP and even lets you start the installation but once again, I am hampered by that bad tar file and the installer kills itself...having filled /usr and /lib with the Irix version of Photoshop (unless you can make flexlm work under NeXTSTEP there is nothign it will do).

Oh well. It was worth the try. Still, it's interesting that there are entries in the script for HP-UX, SunOS and NeXTSTEP.

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram