Boot screen on color monitor instead of mono monitor

Started by NeXTsociety, April 16, 2010, 05:55:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NeXTsociety

I already found the multi-monitor preference where I can arrange the 3 screens I have on my NeXTcube and figured out how I can have a particular screen be the one that has the dock but how do I tell NeXTSTEP what screen I want all the boot data to show on as the system starts?  Right now it shows on my mono monitor during boot and the switches to the NeXTdimension 21" screen I has for my dock screen.

I may remove the mono monitor from my setup and go back to ADB running just the two 21" monitors but when I did that last, I never see the boot info so have had to leave the mono screen connected.

My other issue, I can halt boot doing the Command Bar ~ at boot on the ADB so what key combo actually works to get to ROM screen.  I was pretty sure it was Command Bar ~ but that does not seem to work.

tj

Scutboy

You might be out of luck getting the boot messages to show up on anything other than the CPU board video.

I believe the ND board doesn't initialized until after the OS has booted, and there's not enough support in the boot process to recognize the ND and send the boot info there.

The assignment of the login window/dock happens late in the game, after the OS is fully running and the ND is initialized.

At least that's how I remember it  :)

Sorry - I'm totally fuzzy on the different keys necessary to interrupt the boot process between ADB, non-ADB, etc.

NeXTsociety

I think I need to find a good ADB Mono Monitor then to buy.  Right now I am using a non ADB Mono on my Turbo and really want to go back to using the ADB keyboard and mouse.  

Anyone have a nice clean ADB mono monitor for sale?  I have a nice non ADB I can offer as partial trade if needed or straight out purchase.  8-)

I could have sworn I saw boot screen on my color monitor when I did not have the mono monitor in the picture but maybe that was my Turbo slab I remember.

tj

Quote from: "Scutboy"You might be out of luck getting the boot messages to show up on anything other than the CPU board video.

I believe the ND board doesn't initialized until after the OS has booted, and there's not enough support in the boot process to recognize the ND and send the boot info there.

The assignment of the login window/dock happens late in the game, after the OS is fully running and the ND is initialized.

At least that's how I remember it  :)

Sorry - I'm totally fuzzy on the different keys necessary to interrupt the boot process between ADB, non-ADB, etc.

brams

I get boot messages on my Turbo Cube with only a 21 NeXT monitor connected to my ND.  That would suggest that the ND is initialized by ROM's and not the OS, or am I misunderstanding something here?
NeXTcube Turbo Dimension, NeXTstation Turbo Color, MP2100, Q840av, Q650, WS G4 500, Pismo G4 550, SGI Octane R12K MXE, BeBox 133.

Scutboy

Brams,

Could be - it's been a while since I've been in front of an ND box, so my recollection could be off.