Instant Messaging applications (IM)

Started by NeXTsociety, June 12, 2010, 01:48:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NeXTsociety

What Instant Messaging applications are available for NeXTSTEP 3.3?  Would be nice to do some aim or icq or ??

Old threads here don't talk much about the instant message options.

tj

kb7sqi

Quote from: "NeXTsociety"What Instant Messaging applications are available for NeXTSTEP 3.3?  Would be nice to do some aim or icq or ??

Old threads here don't talk much about the instant message options.

tj


Hey TJ,  the easiest programs that I got working on the NeXT was climm for ICQ & bsflite for AIM.  Both are command line clients, but worked well for chatting on ICQ/AIM.  I'll look & see what needs updated.  I don't think there's been an update to bsflite, but there has for climm.  I'm not sure what has changed.  I can email bsflite to you later this afternoon. Do a google search & you'll find more info on both.  :D   Catch you on IM from a NeXT soon.  Take care.

Steve

NeXTsociety


pan1k

I would also like to try this out too!

kb7sqi

Quote from: "pan1k"I would also like to try this out too!


Drop me an email where I can email you the 2 packages.  They're not big, so should be fine to email you.  

TJ....Your's is on it's way.  Sorry for the delay.

NeXTsociety

Wondering of their is a X version on a graphical IM app that could be run under CubX or something?

tj

kb7sqi

Quote from: "NeXTsociety"Wondering of their is a X version on a graphical IM app that could be run under CubX or something?

tj


Back in the 'old' days before all the POSIX crap was really bad & you didn't have to try to port gnutls, sasl, etc, there was a few choices that worked great via CubX.  AMSN worked 100%, gtkYahoo, TiK AIM Client, gtkICQ, & then Fire.app also worked pretty well for a Native IM app.   Now you'd be better off just using a *BSD box/or a linux box & just forwarding the display of the app over to your NeXT.  A whole lot easier and won't take hours & hours to try to hack into working.  Same thing for a browser.  It just works.   :)   I know everyone wants a native solution, & I'd love to have one, but even I know  that sometimes you have to face the fact, that NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP is really starting to show it's age when it comes to compiling some software.   This last week, I've ran into some even stranger problems trying to compile newer stuff.   Not saying I'm giving up on some things, but others yes. lol.  Take care.

Steve

NeXTsociety

Why would those apps you mention just no longer work now?  Do they not connect to the network that serves the instant messaging or something?

tj

Quote from: "kb7sqi"
Quote from: "NeXTsociety"Wondering of their is a X version on a graphical IM app that could be run under CubX or something?

tj


Back in the 'old' days before all the POSIX crap was really bad & you didn't have to try to port gnutls, sasl, etc, there was a few choices that worked great via CubX.  AMSN worked 100%, gtkYahoo, TiK AIM Client, gtkICQ, & then Fire.app also worked pretty well for a Native IM app.   Now you'd be better off just using a *BSD box/or a linux box & just forwarding the display of the app over to your NeXT.  A whole lot easier and won't take hours & hours to try to hack into working.  Same thing for a browser.  It just works.   :)   I know everyone wants a native solution, & I'd love to have one, but even I know  that sometimes you have to face the fact, that NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP is really starting to show it's age when it comes to compiling some software.   This last week, I've ran into some even stranger problems trying to compile newer stuff.   Not saying I'm giving up on some things, but others yes. lol.  Take care.

Steve

kb7sqi

Quote from: "NeXTsociety"Why would those apps you mention just no longer work now?  Do they not connect to the network that serves the instant messaging or something?

tj

Quote from: "kb7sqi"
Quote from: "NeXTsociety"Wondering of their is a X version on a graphical IM app that could be run under CubX or something?

tj


Back in the 'old' days before all the POSIX crap was really bad & you didn't have to try to port gnutls, sasl, etc, there was a few choices that worked great via CubX.  AMSN worked 100%, gtkYahoo, TiK AIM Client, gtkICQ, & then Fire.app also worked pretty well for a Native IM app.   Now you'd be better off just using a *BSD box/or a linux box & just forwarding the display of the app over to your NeXT.  A whole lot easier and won't take hours & hours to try to hack into working.  Same thing for a browser.  It just works.   :)   I know everyone wants a native solution, & I'd love to have one, but even I know  that sometimes you have to face the fact, that NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP is really starting to show it's age when it comes to compiling some software.   This last week, I've ran into some even stranger problems trying to compile newer stuff.   Not saying I'm giving up on some things, but others yes. lol.  Take care.

Steve


Because as the internet population grew & more exploits were discovered, the protocols were changed, fixed, enhanced, etc.    Then as the popularity of Linux grew as well, more & more open source stuff was developed only on Linux, & not Unix systems like Solaris, HPUX, AIX, etc.   It's made it hard to port newer stuff back to good ol' BSD 4.3 w/ the lacking POSIX support, threads, proper shared libs, more modern gcc, etc.  It is amazing that some stuff still compile w/ gcc-2.5.8. lol.  I'm not saying it's a bad thing,  it's just the evolution of software & our systems getting older.