July 24, 2019, 03:24:27 am

Powermac G5 Questions

Started by bkmoore, September 16, 2010, 04:05:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bkmoore

I am considering buying a Powermac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz as these seem to be fairly inexpensive due to the Intel switch, but still offer good performance. I found a dealer who still has several new (never opened) Powermac G5s and could probably bargin a good price.

I would like to instal OS X 10.5 Server on it and use it as a hobby server and use it for storing and editing photos and video, both HD and standard def. I would like to max it out with 16 GB RAM and two >1TB HDs in a Software RAID-1 configuration.

I don't really need Windows compatability so PPC can still be useful for me. The main thing I want is reliability and performance. I was wondering if anyone else had experience with this sort of machine, especially for video editing. Does anyone knoe how the performance compare with modern intel-based macs? Also, are there any reliability issues that I should be aware of?

The only other desktop machine I am looking at is an entry-level MacPro, but these cost five times as much. If a G5 Quad has the required performance and reliability it might still be a good fit for me.

Thanks,

Brian Moore

pentium

Unless I'm corrected, the quad units sctricly came with an LCU but I don't remember when exactly they really got around to repairing the leak issue.
Otherwise, a quad 2.5 really beats the pants off in the way of performance.

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram

applefreak

i still use a G5 quad, 10.4.11, daily
as 'workhorse' it's great, especially with maxed ram
i tried 10.5.8 but it wasn't ideal

i shouldn't use it as a server
only 2 HD's inside
Raid 1 with a working system ... no way....

-----

if you want a cheap server :

buy a G4 with GB ethernet, like a Quicksilver 2002 dual 1.0 GHz, or a G4 MDD dual  1.0 GHz, ......
a small HD with Tiger (system disk)
a raid controller sata card
2 Big internal HD's configured as Raid 1
connections inside

bkmoore

Thanks for the replies. I had two HD failures in the past nine months, one on my 17" Powerbook G4 and one on my external backup HD. Both HDs were relatively new.

I retired my Powerbook G4 and replaced it with a new late 2009 17" MacBook Pro. The MacBook Pro is nice, but I need something a little sturdier and secure for storing my data. For example I have 10 years worth of digital photography, all cataloged and indexed. That is why I am looking for something along the lines of a G5 or MacPro with multiple HDs, possibly in a mirrored RAID configuration.

But at this point, I am one HD failure or stolen laptop away from total data loss. My wife isn't happy about that either since they are mostly her photos. I could and should get a new external HD, but I want to look for a better, more secure solution.

Brian

applefreak

if your data is important

all my data, since the use of my first mac (1985 - 512k) stored on backups :
current configuration :
a (cheap) G4 server as mentioned above system disk 80 GB + 2 x 1 TB mirroring
and ...
2 external 1 TB HD's for weekly backup,
one at another location, one at the office, after making a full backup on friday, they change from location

most recent work always stored on a portable,

overkill ? i don't think
.... burglary.... fire .... , you never know

bkmoore

I think I will adopt a similar data backup strategy. I must admit, I am about 5 years behind the times with regards to external devices. I wasn't aware that there are external RAID-1 systems that I can attach to the FireWire 800 port on my MacBook Pro. I am not going to do video editing directly on it, so speed isn't the overriding factor, so FireWire should be fine.

I still would like to get a home server someday, but I think a small RAID unit will solve my immediate problem nicely. I thought I needed an internal RAID solution, so hence the Powermac.

Brian