How to boot into Single User from NS 3.3 CD ROM

Started by NeXTsociety, July 06, 2010, 07:16:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NeXTsociety

So, I hosed my hard drive today and now my Cube will no longer boot.  I had connected a external tape drive and had a SCSI conflict and I guess I powered down the Cube to quick and walla, she no longer boots.

So, for an hour I tried to boot into Single User mode on my Turbo Cube so I could run FSCK (which I have not done before) and could never get this to happen.

So, I am installing again NeXTSTEP 3.3 on this system and starting from scratch but so I am better ready next time, how can one boot from the NeXTSTEP 3.3 CD into Single User mode to run FSCK?

I tried bsd(1,0,0)sdmach -s and would get a panic prompt later down the boot process.  So, not sure how else to boot from CD to run FSCK or if it is even possible.

Thanks

tj

kb7sqi

Quote from: "NeXTsociety"So, I hosed my hard drive today and now my Cube will no longer boot.  I had connected a external tape drive and had a SCSI conflict and I guess I powered down the Cube to quick and walla, she no longer boots.

So, for an hour I tried to boot into Single User mode on my Turbo Cube so I could run FSCK (which I have not done before) and could never get this to happen.

So, I am installing again NeXTSTEP 3.3 on this system and starting from scratch but so I am better ready next time, how can one boot from the NeXTSTEP 3.3 CD into Single User mode to run FSCK?

I tried bsd(1,0,0)sdmach -s and would get a panic prompt later down the boot process.  So, not sure how else to boot from CD to run FSCK or if it is even possible.

Thanks

tj

put the install cd in the cd rom drive, & use the NeXT m68k boot floppy.  @ the > prompt type bfd -s & you'll be all set.  Take care.

Steve