workspace manager

Started by idoru17, February 20, 2011, 02:05:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

idoru17

I know I'll sound a bit... irreverent, but is there somewhere a windows version (I know !) of next workspace manager ? It is so much better and ergonomic to have an horizontal file/folders navigation that the tree used now !

ebann

Quote from: "idoru17"I know I'll sound a bit... irreverent, but is there somewhere a windows version (I know !) of next workspace manager ? It is so much better and ergonomic to have an horizontal file/folders navigation that the tree used now !

It's an App, so I'm sure it can compile/run on OPENSTEP Enterprise (OSE) which is OS API for Windows NT. I heard it can also run on Windows 2000 and Vista as well...

... I'm trying to find a copy of OSE myself...
White Box running OPENSTEP 4.2
Dual Pentium III 550MHz | 320MB ECC SDRAM
Matrox Millenium II 8MB
SanDisk 2GB Compact Flash (CF-to-IDE)

Yoshi

GNUstep with GWorkspace is kinda close to the workspace manager, and I believe it runs on Windows. You could probably set it as a shell in place of explorer.exe.

oneNeXT

MahRain

Basically, what you're looking to do is run Windowmaker on Windows, which can be done through Cygwin (I guess).

Good luck and post some screenshots when you're done!

ebann

Quote from: "MahRain"Basically, what you're looking to do is run Windowmaker on Windows, which can be done through Cygwin (I guess).

Good luck and post some screenshots when you're done!

More like http://www.gnustep.it/enrico/gworkspace/ GWorkspace which can be compiled on a Windows box using Yellowbox or OPENSTEP Enterprise.
White Box running OPENSTEP 4.2
Dual Pentium III 550MHz | 320MB ECC SDRAM
Matrox Millenium II 8MB
SanDisk 2GB Compact Flash (CF-to-IDE)

idoru17

Big thank you for your answers and leads and I'm  running winbrowser right now.
I used to be a Xplorer2 fan as it allows me to map many drives in a 3 (multi tabs) panes
[/URL]

It's the best windows explorer replacement, moving/copying thru different drives/folders is so easy with the 3panes. Without telling the bunch of tools it has. And I think it'll be for some time again... As winbrowser doesn't allow file management outside the actual tree : the 'shelf' tabs, being particular views of files/drivesdon't handle the copy/move drag'n'drop, so you're stuck in only one axis. I have to admit that this restriction works very well for horizontal file movements : copying/moving a filein windows from a sub folder to the parent's one is pain in the ass where in winbrowser drag'n'drop is just a pleasure !

[/URL]

Too bad as the reminding of NeXT workspace manager is really  there.

And I'm afraid that the others solutions are way beyong my I.T skills. Anyway thanks !