Powermac G3 450 vs Powermac G4 450 performance on MXS 1.2

Started by unixphreak, December 20, 2010, 08:01:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

unixphreak

Does Server 1.2 have enough or any G4 specific optimizations for a G4 450 to out perform a G3 450? I would like to get a G4 but a G3 would do if Server 1.2 has no use or awareness of the AltiVec engine.

Thanks and I hope nothing happened to RacerX I have PM'ed him a few times and have not heard back. I know this is the busy holiday time so I am just asking questions and having fun with Rhapsody 5.6.

Love the system!!!

RacerX

Quote from: "unixphreak"Thanks and I hope nothing happened to RacerX I have PM'ed him a few times and have not heard back.

I'm still kicking... sort of. :(

I spent the last couple weeks in North Carolina with my aunt, uncle and cousins (and their kids). Plus I got sick late last week and I'm still running a 102 temperature.

When my head clears up a little more I'll try to catch up on Posts/PMs. Right now I'd most likely give bad (or incoherent) information.

What I can tell you is that a G4 should provide a significant speed boost. In fact, using the G4s as a workstation system has some interesting issues as there wasn't a governor for some aspects of the GUI. There was a number of tips on how to slow down some of the GUI aspects that were too fast on G4s, but I'll have to look them up.