What a sad thing

Started by eagle, September 08, 2012, 07:35:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

eagle

Some 20 years ago when hard disk space was tight, I lipo'd my apps.  Apparently, and unfortunately, I lipo'd ALL of them.  Today is the first time I've ever really unarchived my LocalApps tarball... and the NeXT File Inspector reveals the devastating truth: all of my apps are useless in a VMware VM! :( :( :( :(

I used to have Calendar, Concurrence, Create, Diagram, TopDraw, Wingz, WordPerfect, Archie, FrameMaker, GatorFTP, GISO (whatever that is), Improv (never released for x86), MahJongg, Mathematica, MissileCommand, MoonPhase, Mosaic, PacMan, Stealth.app (a neat flight simulator), WriteNow, and some other things... and ALL are useless now! :(

How very sad.

If anyone has Intel versions of these, I would love to get a fresh copy.
My NeXTs:
NeXT Computer prototype (68030-25 x2, 68040-25)
Two NeXTstations (68040-25)
All mono

Morgon

Quote from: "eagle"

I used to have Calendar, Concurrence, Create, Diagram, TopDraw, Wingz, WordPerfect, Archie, FrameMaker, GatorFTP, GISO (whatever that is), Improv (never released for x86), MahJongg, Mathematica, MissileCommand, MoonPhase, Mosaic, PacMan, Stealth.app (a neat flight simulator), WriteNow, and some other things... and ALL are useless now! :(

I might have some of them since I have a mirror of the legendary peanuts archive on 3 DVDs but it will take a while for me to find the programs on the DVDs and upload them somewhere.

BTW. GISO is a great app for converting and tweaking sound files between various formats (not mp3 and the other modern stuff) and NeXT sound format.

Morgon

Morgon

You might also want to have a look at the FTP server of the CS department of TU-Berlin here. The NeXT part there is still available and has a lot of software as well.

cbrunschen

Quote from: "Morgon"[ ... ] I have a mirror of the legendary peanuts archive on 3 DVDs [ ... ]

Would there be a way for you to get them / their contents uploaded to this archive here?

Best wishes,

// Christian

eagle

Quote from: "cbrunschen"
Quote from: "Morgon"[ ... ] I have a mirror of the legendary peanuts archive on 3 DVDs [ ... ]

Would there be a way for you to get them / their contents uploaded to this archive here?

If we could get a torrent of that, I'd be happy to leave it up and running on my system for a while.
My NeXTs:
All mono

Morgon

Quote from: "eagle"
Quote from: "cbrunschen"

If we could get a torrent of that, I'd be happy to leave it up and running on my system for a while.

Both will be a bit problematic for me right now since my upstream rate is only about 30 kByte/s. So there really is no point in uploading about 10 GB especially since my PC is located in my own room and I won't leave in on all night and when not at home.

I'm planning for a faster connection but that won't happen that soon.

Sorry that I don't have better news right now regarding this issue :(
I'll have a look through the archive next weekend for your programs eagle but I think some never have been released for Intel machines.

Greetings,
Morgon

Jsmirand

Severalof these programs are available on this sites file archive in the peanuts collection.

eagle

Thanks.  I need to go through that collection.
My NeXTs:
All mono