OPENSTEP Partition Size and More

Started by redsun, January 24, 2015, 05:13:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redsun

I decided to upgrade my 2004 build P-III machine. So I installed OPENSTEP 4.2 on my Asus P4S533 P4 board.

A few things to notice. The only drive is a 30GB Maxtor. The install program created a 8GB single partition. I used the single EIDE driver from the beta driver disk. So the OPENSTEP partition limit is 8GB, not 2 GB or 4GB. But the install program can only use the first 8GB disk space. I plan to use the reset for Windows. Not sure if the new Windows 7 or 8 would work. I can always do it again if anything blows up.

The multi-boot is managed by OS/2 Boot Manager. I used this program long time ago, to multi boot OPENSTEP, Windows (98 or NT4?). So far, everything works fine.

Also, my old Polaroid 56x CD-ROM (maker?) drive works fine. But the DVD-RW drive does not work.

The 512 or 2048 byte thing is not accurate. I tried this on a Plextor SCSI CD-ROM drive. At 512 byte setting, the install correctly reads the install CD. At 2048 byte setting, the program also correctly reads the install CD. I have a CD-R OPENSTEP USER CD. My other Plextor SCSI drive can read CD-R, but not CD-RW.

I'll try to find another IDE HD to complete the install. It gets hard to find small HD these days. I'm going to get rid of the old WD HDs. They are not reliable any more. Also, they are noisy.

I have 4 P4 type PCs, two of them Intel and two of them Athlon. I think it is better to use Intel for binary compatibility. I'll try to install Windows XP to dual boot. Not sure about Linux. Maybe.

I'd like to use the new machine to read my NeXT emails from 1993 era. I'll try to set it up to the network and use it to send/receive some emails.

I also have laptops. But I can't find any floppy drive to set up OPENSTEP. Not sure if I can get the bootable CD right. It seems hard to set it up that way.

Cheers.
Asus P4S533 P4 @2400 Mhz, 512MB RAM, Matrox G400, 3Com 905, Adaptec 2940
hd0: 2GB, hd1: 4GB/2GB/2GB, hd2: 2GBx4
sd0: CD, sd1/2/3: HP 2GB x 3

cubist

Quote from: "redsun"
A few things to notice. The only drive is a 30GB Maxtor. The install program created a 8GB single partition. I used the single EIDE driver from the beta driver disk. So the OPENSTEP partition limit is 8GB, not 2 GB or 4GB. But the install program can only use the first 8GB disk space. I plan to use the reset for Windows. Not sure if the new Windows 7 or 8 would work. I can always do it again if anything blows up.

Formatted does not necessarily mean robust.  If you start filling and/or doing dump/restores on that 8gb partition, you're likely to have problems.  And partitioning isn't really a barrier to undefined behavior.  This may take down your multi-system install as well.

redsun

Quote from: "cubist"
Formatted does not necessarily mean robust.  If you start filling and/or doing dump/restores on that 8gb partition, you're likely to have problems.  And partitioning isn't really a barrier to undefined behavior.  This may take down your multi-system install as well.

"Robustness" is a very subjective thing. I can only tell that OPENSTEP creates a 8GB partition as default. I remember I successfully divided a 10GB into 3 partitions and used all 10GB space. I do not remember what I did several years ago.

I have to test the tape backup on this partition. I just can't tell now.

redsun

This time, I'm testing with 4GB system partition. The install runs much faster. So I'll keep 4GB partition for OS now.

This may be the reason that I kept all originao OS partitions smaller than 4GB.

t-rexky

The maximum supported partition size on both NS and OS is 2GB.  OS actually will work with 4GB partitions but some file system tools (dump/restore in particular) will break beyond 2GB.  My rule of thumb on NS is to define all partitions at 2GB.  On OS I usually create a boot (system) partition of 2GB and all other partitions of 4GB - this allows me to clone the system partition using dump/restore without any errors.

Partitions larger than 2GB on NS will result in I/O errors when accessing above 2GB.

wa2flq

Quote from: "t-rexky"The maximum supported partition size on both NS and OS is 2GB.  OS actually will work with 4GB partitions but some file system tools (dump/restore in particular) will break beyond 2GB.  My rule of thumb on NS is to define all partitions at 2GB.  On OS I usually create a boot (system) partition of 2GB and all other partitions of 4GB - this allows me to clone the system partition using dump/restore without any errors.

Partitions larger than 2GB on NS will result in I/O errors when accessing above 2GB.

I strongly second this.  OPENSTEP can manage a partition up to 4GB, but I don't believe programs can deal with any individual file can exceeds 2GB (? 32 bit signed pointer limit ?).  

If the program does not handle the issue well, all sorts of bad things happen. Sometimes silently.  
After being burned a few times, I gave up on partitions larger than 2GB.  

Don't go big here!

redsun

Quote from: "t-rexky"The maximum supported partition size on both NS and OS is 2GB.  OS actually will work with 4GB partitions but some file system tools (dump/restore in particular) will break beyond 2GB.  My rule of thumb on NS is to define all partitions at 2GB.  On OS I usually create a boot (system) partition of 2GB and all other partitions of 4GB - this allows me to clone the system partition using dump/restore without any errors.

I will have to see what I did 8 years ago. I believe I used dump command and archived the partions on both HD and tape drives.

redsun

I can't duplicate what I did 8 years ago. Other than having a 8GB single partition, I can't use the entire 8GB space.