NextStep 3.3 with IDE CDROM

Started by SemiMBA, September 20, 2006, 10:17:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SemiMBA

I am trying to load NextStep 3.3 on an Intel based PC.  The HDD is a Seagate SCSI 2.2G.  The CDROM is a standard IDE version.  After booting up with the installation disk for Intel Processors, I am prompted to install the NextStep device drivers floppy.  Unfortunately, the device drivers on this disk are all SCSI drivers.  

Does anyone have the device drivers for a standard IDE CDROM?  Can I load the NextStep OS using an IDE driver or do I have to find a SCSI CDROM?

Thanks for any assistance!

winfried

You can find the install floppies at

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/MultiCountry/Enterprise/nextstep/floppyimages/

On one of the driver disks (I think, additional or beta) you'll find drivers of IDE/EIDE.
I got NS3.3 installed from a ide cdrom, but I'm using a scsi disk, so I don't know, if it's possible, to install it on an ide only system. I had to select the scsi driver before the IDE driver (I've choosen scsi for cdrom and ide for hard disk, although the real connection is vice versa, just to make sure, the scsi driver is loaded first!).

You may also want to look at

http://www.shawcomputing.net/resources/next/software/install/ns_install.html

brams

There is a bug in the install process on NS 3.3, iirc, you need to select a SCSI driver first, and then reselect the CD ROM again and then you can see the IDE driver (which may be on another floppy).  At least that's what I remember when I installed in on VPC for Mac.  I think it was posted in NeXT answers and may be on Apples support pages for NeXT.
NeXTcube Turbo Dimension, NeXTstation Turbo Color, MP2100, Q840av, Q650, WS G4 500, Pismo G4 550, SGI Octane R12K MXE, BeBox 133.

SemiMBA

I downloaded the boot disk and additional drivers on the site noted by Winfried, but unfortunately, the file is larger than a standard 1.44MB floppy.  (I had to download to my XP based PC)

Any suggestions?

nextchef

Quote from: "SemiMBA"I downloaded the boot disk and additional drivers on the site noted by Winfried, but unfortunately, the file is larger than a standard 1.44MB floppy.  (I had to download to my XP based PC)

Any suggestions?

They should be floppy images, so you need to use dd or rawrite on windows to create the floppy.  There is a page on apple support that lists instructions on how to perform this, so check the link below.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=72667

Chef

SemiMBA

Hi Chef

I downloaded the rawrite file.  I also downloaded the 3.3_Addl_Drivers_floppyimage file.  I can run the rawrite program (I am in Win XP but with a DOS window) .  When I enter in the source destination (in this case, c:\3.3_Addl_Drivers_floppyimage) and type <enter>, the DOS window simply closes without prompting for the destination.

Humm -  :?:

nextchef

Quote from: "SemiMBA"Hi Chef

I downloaded the rawrite file.  I also downloaded the 3.3_Addl_Drivers_floppyimage file.  I can run the rawrite program (I am in Win XP but with a DOS window) .  When I enter in the source destination (in this case, c:\3.3_Addl_Drivers_floppyimage) and type <enter>, the DOS window simply closes without prompting for the destination.

It may not like the long filename.  Make a copy of the image files and rename them to fit into the 8.3 limit, and try it again.

Chef

Jenne

This may be a hint in this...

I've been trying o use rawrite within XP (Pro) on a PC and within Virtual PC 7 on a Mac - both trials failed no matter wich comptibilty mode I've chosen. In fact  only Windows 98 Se did this job as expected.

But I'm no Windows Pro ;-)

J

tenzin

Quote from: "SemiMBA"Hi Chef

Quote from: "Jenne"This may be a hint in this ...

Try using dd.exe from gnu-win32, preferably in sh.exe from gnu-win32 if you don't want to install a whole cygwin.

dd.exe, UnxUtils.zip,   UnxUpdates.zip

This will allow you longer filenames, and will be a lot more stable than anything MS or XP.

Tenzin

Slab

I've used RawWrite for Windows in the past with good results.

http://www.chrysocome.net/rawwrite
Slab

SemiMBA

Between a 17 year old hippy son and trying to install NextStep 3.3. onto my HP Kayak PC, I have managed to go totally grey just over this short weekend.  This is the roadblock that I am hitting.

As I mentioned, I have an HP Kayak XU with a 9.9 GB SCSI HDD and an AIC7892 on board SCSI adapter.  The CDROM is IDE.  The installation floppy goes well, but the NextStep device drivers ask to install which SCSI driver is for the CDROM (which as mentioned previously, is an IDE version).  I downloaded an EIDE driver, but that only works when I install item 1 first (which is a 154x SCSI driver for the CDROM).  Of course, the system goes to not being able to see either the CDROM or HDD.  If I load the 154x first, and then install the EIDE driver, it does start to download (apparently seeing both the CDROM and HDD), but then it stops with an error message the you cannot load without 512MB of free space, etc etc etc.  

I am using the NextStep and OpenStep resource page at www.shawcomputing.net/resources/next/software/install/ns_install.html as a reference.  I have also tried to call and email the vendor (blackhole or something to that effect) without any luck.

Any suggestions?  I have almost an identical computer with a 2.2 GB SCSI drive and an IDE CDROM running in our lab right now (this was set up by the original vendor of the equipment - no one currently on the staff knows anything about it other than it works..)

Thanks!

brams

Hi

In a previous post I told you of a bug in the install routine.  Here is some info on it taken from this page:

http://www.nleymann.de/Nextstep/VirtualPC.htm

02. Boot NextStep 3.3 from Disk:

Insert the boot floppy into the floppy drive and switch on the virtual PC. After a while you have to insert the disk with the core drivers. Remove the disk and insert the 3.3_Beta drivers disk. Chose the option to install additional drivers. When asked select 2 (Adaptec SCSI driver) in order to work around a bug in the installation routines. Now chose "7" (for more drivers) and select the dual IDE driver (2). Continue without selecting additional drivers. Now nextstep is booted from disk. Created  a 2GB partition (larger partitions do not work) for Nextstep 3.3 and proceed with the installation.

AFAIK, there is also something in the Apple support site about this and NeXT answers.
NeXTcube Turbo Dimension, NeXTstation Turbo Color, MP2100, Q840av, Q650, WS G4 500, Pismo G4 550, SGI Octane R12K MXE, BeBox 133.