Qemu m99 & Mac OS X Server 1.2

Started by itomato, April 17, 2017, 06:25:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

itomato

I'm toying with Qemu's PPC Mac support, and hitting some snags testing 1.2.3 on the G4 target.

As I recall, the installer needs to boot from CD, then install the BootX extension to a running OS 9 System. The system reboots, offering the ability to select the volume with the Option key.

There seems to be an issue with the NVRAM settings for the boot-device using the default OpenBIOS setup.

Instead, I'm trying to boot the second HFS partition for the "MOSX Booter" to no avail.

A few things would really help me; Install docs for MOSX 1.2, OF parameters suitable to set the 'boot-device' or boot from the second HFS volume.

DP3 supposedly works, so that's up next  8)

Related: Does anyone recall a Software Restoration CD for G4 Server that managed images for 9 and X?
-itomato

itomato

Progress..

Booting from the OS 9 HDD, it's possible to run System Disk to derive the OF boot-device values. In my case:

/pci@f2000000/mac_io@c/ata-3/21000/@0,9,\\:txbi

This matches what parted tells me about the 1.2 image I'm using, with the booter partition #9.

Graphic output is compressed horizontally, with some obvious bit-depth issues and artifacts, but it loads the OS X Server splash image with spinning disk.

It hangs there. I can try getting verbose output, but I'm afraid it will be unreadable.

Virtual serial output, perhaps?
-itomato

itomato

Looks like an issue with ATA device enumeration. I'm not able to progress past this point with CD/HDD swapping from Master to Slave or Primary to Secondary.

"HPIC INT 14"

UPDATE: It seems I was overeager. It progresses, finding mach_kernel on sd0.

WARNING: preposterous time in real time clock... - always good to see.

Hanging at "Please Wait"...
-itomato

eagle

If you figure this out, I want a howto.  I used to have some hardware on which I ran OS X Server, but I haven't had that for a long time.
My NeXTs:
NeXT Computer prototype (68030-25 x2, 68040-25)
Two NeXTstations (68040-25)
All mono