NeXT Typography

Started by Jenne, October 01, 2006, 07:22:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

Hello again.

Along with my work on my private domain www.blackmac.ch I'm searching for some information about NeXT typography, to be more exact: the fonts used within product labeling (cube & station) and maybe the fonts used within the official manuals. Any information is very welcome! (Note: I'm NOT asking for copies of the font sets, I'm just asking for their names!)

Thanks in advance!

Jenne

RacerX

NEXTSTEP, OPENSTEP and most titling on later manuals were all done with the Frutiger family... which you can find here with tons of other fonts for NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP/Rhapsody.

tenzin

Jenne,

The logo font was Futura Bold, which as I remember, was inspired by it's being used by Stanley Kubrik in 2001: A Space Oddyssey.

It's available from Linotype .

Tenzin

Jenne

Thank You very much, seems to be the right one!

J

RacerX

Quote from: "tenzin"The logo font was Futura Bold, which as I remember, was inspired by it's being used by Stanley Kubrik in 2001: A Space Oddyssey.

I remembered that it started with an "F"... :oops:

Jenne

Quote from: "RacerX"I remembered that it started with an "F"... :oops:

Don't worry, the human brain might be able to act like a compendium to everything mankind has evolved over ages. But there has to be a reason why mankind needs computers ;-)

J

tenzin

Quote from: "RacerX"
Quote from: "tenzin"The logo font was Futura Bold, which as I remember, was inspired by it's being used by Stanley Kubrik in 2001: A Space Oddyssey.

I remembered that it started with an "F"... :oops:

Frutiger and Helveticas were probably the ones used in the actual documentation :)

Tenzin

itomato

A freeware font "Duty" is a near-perfect match for Futura Bold Condensed, if you don't have a Mac handy ;)
-itomato

tenzin

The Linotype Futura Bold Condensed, and their other fonts, work fine in Unix, Linux and Windows, in X11, and DPS in GNUstep, as well as Mac.