NextStep 3.3 on 040 Cube won't shut down

Started by elemenoh, March 14, 2019, 12:27:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

elemenoh

I have an 040 cube with NextStep 3.3 installed on a SCSI2SD. It starts up and functions fine. When I hit the power button to shut down I get the options to Log Out or Power Off. When I click Power Off the shutdown window goes away immediately, but it takes 15-20 minutes until the dock goes away. I've waited up to 30 minutes past that point for it to shut down on its own without success.

Alt+Command+* does force reboot the computer okay.
Using 'halt' in NMI also works okay.

Is there something I can do to determine what is preventing a normal shutdown? Is this delay typical when using SCSI2SD?

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Hello: A few questions do you have networking set up?  What is the speed of your sd card?  The Extreme Pro cards verse regular SD cards make huge a difference in terms of performance and shut down.
Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  sales@blackholeinc.com http://www.blackholeinc.com
303-741-9998 Serving the NeXT Community  since 2/9/93

elemenoh

The card is a SanDisk Edge 16GB Micro SD HC I (4) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FZVQPBC/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I do have a network config, but the cube is not attached to my network at the moment. If I disconnect it from the network physically, do I need to remove the internet config settings?

EDIT: I changed from local domain to netinfo. It gets rid of the dock much more quickly but still hangs at the gray screen and doesn't shut down.

elemenoh

I switched to a SanDisk Pro Extreme card and still have the same symptom. It goes to the gray screen quickly, but doesn't shut down. I waited about four minutes. Anything else I can try?

barcher174

I would suggest checking your SCSI cable. Which SCSI2SD version? Have you updated to the latest firmware?

elemenoh

Quote from: barcher174 on May 15, 2019, 02:12:55 amI would suggest checking your SCSI cable. Which SCSI2SD version? Have you updated to the latest firmware?
The SCSI2SD is 5.0b. I updated the firmware when I installed the card a couple months ago. It looks like the latest firmware available is from 2018 so I should be up to date.

Everything else works okay otherwise and it shut down normally when I had the original HDD connected. The cable seems unlikely.

Also, the hang is the same when I just try to log out rather than shut down. It goes to a gray screen pretty quickly and then hangs there.

Is there a way to monitor the shutdown process to see where it's getting stuck? Or is there a log somewhere that might have that info?

elemenoh

May 15, 2019, 05:43:17 pm #6 Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 07:39:50 pm by elemenoh
Update:
I opened the NMI console (cmd+cmd+~) and typed msg while the cube was hung at the grey screen. I see the following looping. Does this just mean a bad sector on the disk? Why would that be the case on both cards? Anything I can do to repair it?

I did try running fsck, but it checks out okay.

nmi> msg
Target 0: NOT READY; retry 7
Target 0: NOT READY; retry 8
Target 0: NOT READY; retry 9
Target 0: NOT READY; retry 10
Target 0: NOT READY; retry 11
Target 0: NOT READY; retry 12
Target 0: NOT READY; retry 13
Target 0: NOT READY; retry 14
Target 0: NOT READY; retry 15
Target 0: NOT READY; retry 16
Target 0: NOT READY; retry 17
Target 0: NOT READY; retry 18
Target 0: NOT READY; retry 19
sd0 (0,0) sense key:0x2 additional sense code: 0x4
   SCSI Block in error = 2285632; Partition a F.S. sector 1142656
IO error on pageout: error = 5.
vnode_pageout: failedTarget 0: NOT READY; retry 1!
Target 0: NOT READY; retry 2
Target 0: NOT READY; retry 3
Target 0: NOT READY; retry 4
Target 0: NOT READY; retry 5
Target 0: NOT READY; retry 6
Target 0: NOT READY; retry 1
   IO error on pageout: error = 5.
vnode_pageout: failedTarget 0: NOT READY; retry 1!
nmi>

evolver56k

Can you post your scsi2sd config file? you might have an issue with the drive definition

elemenoh

Quote from: evolver56k on May 16, 2019, 05:30:05 pmCan you post your scsi2sd config file? you might have an issue with the drive definition

Here's the current config:
https://pastebin.com/RLXL7kU3

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Hello: How are you doing the installation of NeXTSTEP 3.3 to the scsi2sd? Is it from using a saved Drive or ISO image using the DD (disk duplicate command) using  terminal.app utility on MACOS X then copying the saved image to your sd. Then booting that newly created sd on your NeXT ? Or is the image on the SD from an original NeXTSTEP3.3 CD install or using buildisk from your original hard drive?

What happens if you choose to logout first then power off from the login screen?    Do  you have the password set for the me account so when you logout you have a login screen appear and can login as root or me ?    If when you boot up it goes directly into the operating system , you need to set up a password for me , using the calendar icon , click to open preferences , click the padlock in the preferences panel , set the password.

So it lloks like error is referring d0 (0,0) sense key:0x2 additional sense code: 0x4
   SCSI Block in error = 2285632; Partition a F.S. sector 1142656  to a bad sector on your sd card, this may be an artifact from a previous install say on older hard drive then moving data to your new sd drive.

When you format the sd card does it give any errors for example using MACOSX utilities    Master Boot Record Fat32?

What is your current set up ....  as it gives us a starting point.....
What drive do you have jumper to be SCSI ID 0 ?
Do you currently have a hard drive ?,+ SD drive ? CDrom Drive? Floppy Drive? on your Cube?

Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  sales@blackholeinc.com http://www.blackholeinc.com

elemenoh

May 16, 2019, 09:01:03 pm #10 Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 10:44:17 pm by elemenoh
Quote from: Rob Blessin Black Hole on May 16, 2019, 08:18:38 pmHello: How are you doing the installation of NeXTSTEP 3.3 to the scsi2sd? Is it from using a saved Drive or ISO image using the DD (disk duplicate command) using  terminal.app utility on MACOS X then copying the saved image to your sd. Then booting that newly created sd on your NeXT ? Or is the image on the SD from an original NeXTSTEP3.3 CD install or using buildisk from your original hard drive?
I created a CD and floppy drive partition on the SCSI2SD, DD'd the installation disk images to those and installed onto SCSI ID0 HD partition.

Quote from: undefinedWhat happens if you choose to logout first then power off from the login screen?
It hangs at the grey screen indefinitely just like a shut down.

Quote from: undefinedDo  you have the password set for the me account so when you logout you have a login screen appear and can login as root or me ?
I've only been using root. I don't think I have another user account set up but will check.
UPDATE: I do have a me account but haven't been using it. Should that make a difference?

Quote from: undefinedIf when you boot up it goes directly into the operating system , you need to set up a password for me , using the calendar icon , click to open preferences , click the padlock in the preferences panel , set the password.
It boots to a login screen. I log in as root.

Quote from: undefinedSo it lloks like error is referring d0 (0,0) sense key:0x2 additional sense code: 0x4
  SCSI Block in error = 2285632; Partition a F.S. sector 1142656  to a bad sector on your sd card, this may be an artifact from a previous install say on older hard drive then moving data to your new sd drive.
It's a fresh install.

Quote from: undefinedWhen you format the sd card does it give any errors for example using MACOSX utilities    Master Boot Record Fat32?
It didn't when it was new, but I haven't formatted it since installing NeXTStep

Quote from: undefinedWhat is your current set up ....  as it gives us a starting point.....
What drive do you have jumper to be SCSI ID 0 ?
Do you currently have a hard drive ?,+ SD drive ? CDrom Drive? Floppy Drive? on your Cube?
The optical drive is plugged into power, but disconnected from SCSI. If it's not plugged into power, the machine won't turn on.
The HDD was removed, but worked okay when it was installed. It was just old, loud and sounded like it was dying.
The SCSI2SD is plugged into the SCSI bus that the HDD was on. I didn't change jumper settings on the SCSI2SD or MLB. SCSI2SD is configured with ID0=HDD, ID1=HDD, ID2=Floppy, ID3=CDROM.
Nothing is plugged into the external SCSI bus.

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Hello: By the way ....this is genius:  I created a CD and floppy drive partition on the SCSI2SD, DD'd the installation disk images to those and installed onto SCSI ID0 HD partition.

I'm trying this method for install and has my wheels turning.... doh, I always use an actual not virtual floppy drive and CDrom drive but this virtual foo rocks.

I wonder if you reassign the block , if that will clear up the error then let it shut down? As it appears something is causing it to hang.    SCSI Block in error = 2285632; Partition a F.S. sector 1142656

Best Regards Rob Blessin

evolver56k

Are you using the molex power cable to supply power to the scsi2sd, or just using power supplied via the scsi cable?

I have a v5.0b in my turboslab that doesn't have this issue, connected with 5v power. I also have a v5.0 in a MacSE only using scsi cable supplied power.

I'm not sure if there's a difference in the cube vs slab in whether or not you need to supply extra power to the board, if that's your setup